Your favorite Pale Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
I love pale ale. Unashamedly.

I don't care if it's English style or American style. I love them both.

I'm looking to brew a pale ale that isn't from a kit. Not excessively hoppy, as I would like it to be appealing to more people than just me, but not mild and boring either.

A pale ale for pale ale enthusiasts! Balanced,malt and hop goodness.

Anyone have a recipe they use for their "house pale ale" that they brew again and again because it's so darn good?

If you do, please post your recipe, I'd really like to try it.

Agreed.

But they are both all-grain recipes, which is why I posted this in the extract forum...unfortunately I am not experienced enough for all grain recipes yet.

+1 for Yooper's. Have not tried the other yet.

Yooper's has an awesome malt and hop profile and is not too bitter it is very balanced.

The EdWort version has an extract recipe in the first post and Yoopers has a PM recipe on the first page. They've got 80+ pages of comments on them, take a look through them to find what you're looking for.

All great recipes mentioned so far for sure but my vote goes for Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale. I've brewed both an extract version and all grain and it's a great beer either way.

I'd really consider starting to brew partial mash, it will greatly increase your recipe choices. It's technically not any harder than steeping grains and you should be able to do it with your current equipment and a cheap pain strainer bag. That would allow you to use additional base grains like Vienna, Munich, Rye, also other specialty grains/adjuncts that need to be mashed like victory/biscuit and flaked grains. Folks can walk you through it if you need help. Otherwise experimenting with some of the specialty LME's like maris otter, munich, and rye is is good bet. For example see EdWort's extract option as mentioned above where he subs in munich extract for the vienna.

Take a look in the Amercian Ale recipe section;

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31793
Yoopers House Pale Ale - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=100304

800,000 and 250,000 views respectively, pretty damn popular pale ales.

I remember a while back there was an article posted about 'averaging' the hop schedules of the 3 most popular pale ale recipes on HBT:

Edwort's Pale
Yooper's Pale
BierMucher's Pale (I think this was it, not sure)

Living in San Diego, I personally think Yoop's malt forward approach is too much and lean more toward Edworts', limiting the Crystal.

Over time I thought, why don't I 'average' the grain builds of these 3. Ultimately, lowering Crystal malts and subbing with Carapils and using 2-row instead of Marris Otter.

OP, as a general rule when converting grain to extract just multiply lbs of fermentables (typically 2 row in a pale ale) by 0.89 to get the amount of LME or if using DME then multiply by 0.67 I think it was (could be 0.69 or dyslexia meaning 0.76 but I'm at work and that info is on my home computer). Like other have said though, if you at least go to PM it will open a lot of doors for you...example with Yoopers pale ale (which I love and thus have her recipe memorized):
She uses 5 lbs Marris otter... so 5 x 0.89= roughly 5.5 lbs LME (you can even up it to 6lbs and it wouldn't hurt anything).
Ideally you would not want to sub the Vienna and Munich malts with extract, just do a full volume mash those in a bag (it's only 5lbs grain) at around 152 or so (don't have to be too picky) along with your Crystal and after 60 minutes lift the bag out and let all wort drain (squeeze if you like to quicken up the draining) then boil with hops additions and add LME at flame out. Guarantee you will like the results!
Long story short, I love Yoopers APA and bc I love it so much I haven't had an urge to try the others haha.

Another vote for Yooper's Pale Ale. I've made it multiple times and it has always turned out great. Last time I switched up the hops for fun and it was still fantastic.

Another vote for Lake Walk Pale Ale. The combination of Amarillo and Simcoe is just awesome!

I wonder if I keep getting a bad batch of Amarillo? I've made Lake Walk a couple of times and I don't find it to be anything to write home about. The hops always seem so bland to me. I keep hearing how great Amarillo is but I just don't see it (Simcoe I love).

I wonder if I keep getting a bad batch of Amarillo? I've made Lake Walk a couple of times and I don't find it to be anything to write home about. The hops always seem so bland to me. I keep hearing how great Amarillo is but I just don't see it (Simcoe I love).

I personally think Amarillo is best used with something to compliment it rather than another strong hop like Simcoe. I like to use it with Crystal in my APA and I think it comes through with an amazing flavor. That being said I have found it just gets lost with some other citrusy/piney hops.

Latest posts

Back