Covid affecting beer flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncbrewer

Reaction score
I had Covid several months ago. It was a pretty mild case – just felt like a mild case of the flu. After it was gone, I didn’t think much about it.

Several months ago, I made some process changes - I started having trouble getting good hop flavor and aroma. I didn’t make a connection with Covid until I took an American Pale Ale to a homebrew club meeting. It didn’t seem to have any appreciable hop character but I felt it was a decent beer just the same. When others tasted the beer, they commented on it being an especially hoppy pale ale. It wasn’t until a couple of days later that I put it together (a little slow – yes). Apparently, Covid interfered with my taste, and it’s lasting for a pretty long time. I wonder how many others have experienced this.

that sucks and im sorry to hear that.
but yes long covid is a thing

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8242542/
i had omicron a few years ago but fortunately no long term or delayed effects.

one more thing i should be thankful for this season.

some neurological conditions do improve with time but it can take awhile.

hopefully you regain your full sense of taste.

cheers

I had Covid several months ago. It was a pretty mild case – just felt like a mild case of the flu. After it was gone, I didn’t think much about it.

Several months ago, I made some process changes - I started having trouble getting good hop flavor and aroma. I didn’t make a connection with Covid until I took an American Pale Ale to a homebrew club meeting. It didn’t seem to have any appreciable hop character but I felt it was a decent beer just the same. When others tasted the beer, they commented on it being an especially hoppy pale ale. It wasn’t until a couple of days later that I put it together (a little slow – yes). Apparently, Covid interfered with my taste, and it’s lasting for a pretty long time. I wonder how many others have experienced this.
I had the same problem and threw out a beer thinking I messed up, it will pass at least mine did

After avoiding it for 3 5 years, my wife and I caught covid around Labor Day, while in Alaska. We drove up there, and it was a long 6 days driving back, feeling like shiat. She got over it faster, having had the booster last spring that I was not eligible for.

I was trashed for about 8-10 days, then my sense of smell/taste was a bit off. Some foods and drinks tasted kind of metallic. But after a couple weeks I got it back and no issues since.

But the 6 weeks of coughing was another story. Using Hall's cough drops didn't help with my sense of taste. At least it wasn't long covid.

@ncbrewer, hope you get back to full taste and olfactory soon.

I had it a year and a half ago, mild case. Lost my sense of taste/smell and it came back but some things still don’t taste right, hoppy beers being one of them. Just get an unpleasant bitterness that overpowers other flavors. Other things have a weird floral taste now, like some red wines, yogurt/sour cream, cucumbers, and watermelon to name a few. Didn’t bother growing cucumbers in my garden this year since I just don’t enjoy them anymore.

I had it a year and a half ago, mild case. Lost my sense of taste/smell and it came back but some things still don’t taste right, hoppy beers being one of them. Just get an unpleasant bitterness that overpowers other flavors. Other things have a weird floral taste now, like some red wines, yogurt/sour cream, cucumbers, and watermelon to name a few. Didn’t bother growing cucumbers in my garden this year since I just don’t enjoy them anymore.
I had a mild case at the end of June this year and lost my taste for a good 2-3 weeks, couldn’t taste beer at all for probably 2 months? It’s come back like 99% but hoppy beers like you mention are just bitter and oddly they almost take on what I can describe as “salty” taste sometimes.

I had it last February. What really works for the taste/smell impairment is taking 50 mg Zinc Gluconate for a couple of weeks. Worked for all of us here.

DMF.

But the 6 weeks of coughing was another story.
I cough for six weeks after every cold. I've had this problem for decades. Sinuses I guess. Had COVID once. Took Paxlovid. All symptoms were gone before the prescription was. Did have a metallic taste in my mouth for about a week. Assumed it was the drug, but maybe it was the virus.

I cough for six weeks after every cold. I've had this problem for decades. Sinuses I guess. Had COVID once. Took Paxlovid. All symptoms were gone before the prescription was. Did have a metallic taste in my mouth for about a week. Assumed it was the drug, but maybe it was the virus.

You and me! My sinuses have always been hinky. A cold will sometimes turn into a permacough for me. :mad:

I've heard Paxlovid leaves a metallic taste for a while. As long as the taste goes away.

My wife had a mild case recently, also took Paxlovid, and also complained about the metallic taste. But she complained a lot more about having to stay away from work for a full week even though she was fine after two days.

I would've stopped in for Paxlovid, but our symptoms didn't show up until we were down the Alaska Hwy in boondocks, Yukon. We just deadheaded home.

Now I have the new booster, and having had the covid, my 5G reception should be awesome. :p

Also got the vax for flu and RSV. Hoping for a disease-free winter.

I had Covid a year ago in July. I lost my sense of taste and smell completely. Neither has really come back to pre Covid levels. I can tell the difference between sweet and salty or sour and bitter, but picking out specific flavors ain’t happening. This makes brewing and cooking bit of a challenge. The only things which really taste good are sweet things. My doc says that‘s really common in people with long Covid.

I had Covid a year ago in July. I lost my sense of taste and smell completely. Neither has really come back to pre Covid levels. I can tell the difference between sweet and salty or sour and bitter, but picking out specific flavors ain’t happening. This makes brewing and cooking bit of a challenge. The only things which really taste good are sweet things. My doc says that‘s really common in people with long Covid.
I've had covid twice now and my sense of taste is still really off. First time covid was may 2020 and since then, I really, really, dislike hop bitterness a lot now. Really makes making or drinking a beer a not so great experiance anymore. I've been brewing since 1986, worked in a friends homebrew shop, involved in a bit of localish judging, and covid has taken it all away from me. Maybe it's for the best for me though, I've also been diabetic for 30 years, so not drinking often could be a good thing. Another thing that has changed for me now is that I really enjoy, which I never have before, sweet things! I've never ate dessert type things, candy, ice cream and such. Now though, it's a craving for that kind of thing and I can pick up all the nuances in them that I really can't find in beer anymore. I guess it sux to be me but at least I'm still here, skewed taste and all!

Last edited:
Back