You pick the yeast for a Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast?

• WLP002 English Ale, 150F mash (recipe)

• WLP001 California Ale, 152F mash (my gut feeling)

Results are only viewable after voting.

adx

Reaction score
Since I haven't posted in a while I thought I'd come back with a bang. That means a poll!

I was itching to brew and didn't fill like coming up with a recipe so I purchased the Pale Rye AG kit from AHS. The recipe is pretty simple; some rye, some crystal, the rest 2 row for the mash and some American hops for the hopping.

The poll is which yeast to use. The recipe calls form a 150F mash with WLP002 English yeast. I'm thinking maybe doing 154F mash with WLP001 California yeast. This is where you get to decide! I'll be brewing Saturday, Dec 20 and the mash-in will be around 8AM. I'll check the poll around then and go with what ever yeast has the highest vote total.

I guess I should add some vital stats. SG is 1.053 and Brewsmith says FG would be 1.017 with WLP002 and 1.012 with WLP001 with those mash temperatures.

I have a little experience with this recipe, but only with 002.
Batch 1: OG 1.050 FG 1.012
Batch 2: OG 1.052 FG 1.011
Batch 3: OG 1.053 FG 1.013
Batch 4: OG 1.051 FG Haven't checked yet
Batch 5: OG 1.052 FG Haven't checked yet

Batch 3 had a higher mash temp, like 156. All the rest were under 155 - batch 1 was probably under 150, since I didn't have a good thermometer then.

Did you get Amarillo and Glacier or Cascade and Willamette? My 1, 2, and 5 batches were the former and 3 and 4 had Cascade/Willamette. I really liked the hop profile when I mixed the Am/Gl for the 15 and 5 minute additions on batch 2, so I did it again for #5.

IMHO, this recipe really works with some residual sweetness and the esters of 002. Chico yeast also takes a lot longer in my experience.

Mine came with Cascade and Willamette. However, I do have some Amarillo in the fridge.

So, what did you end up using?

I'm drinking a partial-fill bottle of my batch #3, bottled 12-17. Yes, I'm robbing the cradle, but I didn't want to have this sucker oxidize or blow up. On this batch, I added an extra half-ounce of Cascade at 15min, and I'm glad I did. If you haven't yet brewed it, I'd say throw some of that Amarillo in there!

Oh, and carbonate on the low side, around 2 volumes.

Back