WORST hops flavor combinations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Reaction score
Mainly looking at this within the context of American and British ales, (Pales, bitters, IPA, DIPA, that kind of thing).

But .... What are some hops combinations you have done that you would AVOID or NOT REPEAT AGAIN.

Basically looking for flavor/aroma combinations in which the flavors/aroma did NOT play nicely together. And what was the unexpected bad flavor like?

Particularly interested in say if you liked a hop on it's own or with a different hop, but then you tried this other combination, and YUCK.

I've never brewed any combinations that were terrible together. I did get a batch of Summit and Hallertau Mit that didn't work with anything else, or themselves. Some of the resinous pine hops don't seem to go well with the super citrus varieties unless they're very late in the boil.

I think all the American C's work well in different combinations. A combo of Nelson Sauvin, Moteuka, Mosaic, and Citra is amazing!

Amarillo/Simcoe did not work for me. That's when I figured out I just don't like Amarillo.

Equinox doesn't play nicely with others. It should really be a solo star.

I found, by accident, that hull melon and goldings work really well together, especially with hefe yeast.

By the way...i was totally trolling on the 2 row citra yuck comment. Thats a delicious malt hop combo.

I am just starting to drink a Brooklyn/Columbus IPA and I don't think they work very well. Previous IPA was Citra/Columbus and was great. I hadn't used Brooklyn, it's a newish NZ hop with big tropical notes so sounded like a straight sub would work but for my taste, not so good.

I've got one universal rule for any hop forward beer

Any hop + high mash temp / Crystal malts / low attention using yeast = blech

There are no hard rules. Only taste preference and dumb stuff like waisting a noble hop like ekg when citra takes over the entire beer

I've got one universal rule for any hop forward beer

Any hop + high mash temp / Crystal malts / low attention using yeast = blech

There are no hard rules. Only taste preference and dumb stuff like waisting a noble hop like ekg when citra takes over the entire beer

Sage advice.

Though I was extract at the time, I did something kind of similar with a beer in which I used all late additions of Falconer's Flight and S-04 (on purpose, thought it would be interesting) and it was meh, OK but just kind of odd.

Maybe it hasn't settled into it's own yet but I won't be rushing to make one like that again anytime soon.

I know this is an old thread but....

I made an west coast IPA with centennial, CTZ, and El dorado's....sounds delicious but the piney-ness/citrusy/floral from the centennials and CTZ, with the tropical fruitiness of the el dorado's gave it a wonderful pine-sol taste. Aroma was amazing though...

Actually that happens to be a VERY timely reply -

I know this is an old thread but....

I made an west coast IPA with centennial, CTZ, and El dorado's....sounds delicious but the piney-ness/citrusy/floral from the centennials and CTZ, with the tropical fruitiness of the el dorado's gave it a wonderful pine-sol taste. Aroma was amazing though...

Yesterday it just so happened to be my brew day (and my work schedule has made brew days way to scarce these days) - and guess what I had planned to make?

A pale with CTZ and El Dorado! Your thread saved me from it!!! Although I suspect the Centennial was the culprit here -

I decided to go Willamette/El Dorado instead, with a willamette to Bitter (I know, it's not a bittering hop but I wasn't going for super bitter either). While that is perhaps an unconventional choice everything else about the beer besides the El Dorado had more of a British theme to it, so I figured the flavors may pair well, with the Dorado not being super citrusy any sort if spice notes from the Willamette might play nicely with the Dorado. We will see.

Well I'm glad I saved you. I do agree I think it was the centennial, and over all it wasn't terrible but never again

Actually that happens to be a VERY timely reply -

Yesterday it just so happened to be my brew day (and my work schedule has made brew days way to scarce these days) - and guess what I had planned to make?

A pale with CTZ and El Dorado! Your thread saved me from it!!! Although I suspect the Centennial was the culprit here -

I decided to go Willamette/El Dorado instead, with a willamette to Bitter (I know, it's not a bittering hop but I wasn't going for super bitter either). While that is perhaps an unconventional choice everything else about the beer besides the El Dorado had more of a British theme to it, so I figured the flavors may pair well, with the Dorado not being super citrusy any sort if spice notes from the Willamette might play nicely with the Dorado. We will see.

Polaris hops I can’t imagine go well with anything. They brought intense menthol flavor when I tried them and was very disappointed. I have a love hate relationship with galaxy as I’ve experienced intense bitter rind flavors that don’t fade with time on a couple pale ales. Also being dumb and using something like a high ester yeast (like a Belgian ale strain or something) with most American hops have clashing characteristics sometimes being a toothpaste like flavor

Back