You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When SWMBO, In-laws and Pastor sermon you on the dangers of your soul for making a hopped barley tea...(this is before pitching the yeast).

Recall that the Ben Franklin quote that is often misquoted, was originally referring to the Marriage at Cana and the process that leads to wine, if not the wine itself :
Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy!

If my uber-catholic grandmother was alive right now, I would have to endure a weekly sermon on the dangers of alcohol, brewing as a woman (not our place you know! Get back in the bedroom & the kitchen where you belong), and how I'm not as good as my perfect sister, who married an alcoholic with 5 DUI's at last count. God or whoever smite me now, but I was relieved when that banshee kicked the bucket back in '99, and so was my mother (her daughter).

Probably mentioned before, but I was just thinking this morning while I was looking under the sink for a trash bag: You know you're a homebrewer when you start visualizing fermentation buckets in every available nook and cranny of your home.

Hmmm...yep! I could fit one there, and there and there...

Probably mentioned before, but I was just thinking this morning while I was looking under the sink for a trash bag: You know you're a homebrewer when you start visualizing fermentation buckets in every available nook and cranny of your home.

Hmmm...yep! I could fit one there, and there and there...

I hope your fermentation buckets stuck in every nook and cranny are empty or your house is kept cold... Fermentation temperature control is one of the best ways to make your beer better. Lack of control and too high a fermentation temperature is one of the easiest ways to make a good beer mediocre or even bad.

I hope your fermentation buckets stuck in every nook and cranny are empty or your house is kept cold... Fermentation temperature control is one of the best ways to make your beer better. Lack of control and too high a fermentation temperature is one of the easiest ways to make a good beer mediocre or even bad.
Yes, this is pure fantasy. I wish I had a cool house or a basement, but here in the southeast I'm 100% reliant on my mini fridge and cooler bag. Still, I do like to mentally take over the house with brewing equipment.

When you are a fairly experienced homebrewer, with common sense and science to back you up, and you STILL spend a good amount of time fretting about your lager on brand new S23 that hasn't got a krausen yet after over 48 hours. Then breathe a heavy sigh of relief the next morning when a thin film of foam is seen. Every damn time.

When you are a fairly experienced homebrewer, with common sense and science to back you up, and you STILL spend a good amount of time fretting about your lager on brand new S23 that hasn't got a krausen yet after over 48 hours. Then breathe a heavy sigh of relief the next morning when a thin film of foam is seen. Every damn time.

Same. Every time I make a lager I freak out until Krausen finally forms. Every. Time.

You know you're a homebrewer when, on a Friday night, you're pulling a pint off the tap and repeating the mantra in your head, "Don't kick, don't kick, don't kick", and breathe a sigh of relief when it doesn't kick.

Last night I wanted to compare the Kolsch I made at the end of May with a new one I'd just kegged. I wanted to try a bit of each to see if I needed to jolt the new batch with some additional carbonation...

...and BAM! I get about 1/2" of beer in the bottom of the glass and the keg kicks. I really wanted to compare them as I used WLP029 in the first, and WYEAST 2565 in the second one.....

Guess I should have repeated the "don't kick" mantra....

When you host a brew day and your friend asks about your new piece of equipment... in front of your wife.... who didn’t know about it yet. She then goes back inside to research how much it cost and sends you a screen shot of it on Amazon.

Amazon $168

Used $50

26407383-D8C7-4D3F-BA50-22DBCB3ED5E8.jpeg
When you hear a thump. Wife blames your brewing and you need to keep her in check!

When you volunteer your Saturday and equipment to help a buddy brew for his upcoming wedding. The only logical thing to do is to take Friday off to clean and load equipment.

My phone autocorrects to brewing terms constantly.

Today was “I’ll take care of it after work when I get homebrew”. Meant to be just home. My phone also autocorrects my fiancé’s name to Brew. Oops.

My phone and tablet does this all the time too and plumbing terms too.

Embarrassing when it happens when texting with customers!

When you volunteer your Saturday and equipment to help a buddy brew for his upcoming wedding. The only logical thing to do is to take Friday off to clean and load equipment.

Then we all end up at a local brewery and so happens to walk in are 2 club members to watch their uncle sing, the former owner of our old LHBS, two brew masters and another two club members... I know all of them pretty well other than the uncle...

What in the name of Pete kind of cult did I somehow get myself into?!?!

Oh, and my second day helping on commercial brew day is Monday. I get to reserve 5 gallons of wort to experiment with. Stout!:yes:

Scrolling through Facebook and you spot a cooler for sale and decide to keep scrolling because it wouldn’t make a good tun...

You set up a spreadsheet that analyzes your beer consumption rate per day, how much kegged/bottled brew you have on hand, how much are in fermenters, and the date you will have no beer. The calculations determine the last possible date you need to brew more, taking into account fermenting days, secondary fermenting days, dry hop days, and carbonation days so you don't run out of beer. And just to be extra cautious, figure the next 2 brew dates as well. After all, when it comes to home brew, it's better to have too much than enough.

You set up a spreadsheet that analyzes your beer consumption rate per day, how much kegged/bottled brew you have on hand, how much are in fermenters, and the date you will have no beer. The calculations determine the last possible date you need to brew more, taking into account fermenting days, secondary fermenting days, dry hop days, and carbonation days so you don't run out of beer. And just to be extra cautious, figure the next 2 brew dates as well. After all, when it comes to home brew, it's better to have too much than enough.
You designed an MRP system for your brewery. Nice.

And you give yourself a six month buffer.

When you have so many kegs of finished beer in cold storage you don’t need the spreadsheet you made....

Latest posts

Back