Home bar drip tray drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkur

BJCP #B1441
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - I have a home bar with six beers and a drip tray. When I built it, it wasn't possible to have the drip tray feed into a drain so I have it drain into a bucket under the taps. After a heavy night of use I empty the bucket which is rarely more that a quart or two. However the silicone tube and the bucket builds up mold quickly if the bucket isn't emptied. Furthermore the odor is bad!

What have fellow home brewers found is a good sanitizing solution for drip trays and waste buckets? Are there tablets I can buy to add to the drip tray or bucket to prevent mold growth?

Paul

IMG_2439.jpeg

I use the same set up as yours but I use cheap vinyl hose into my bucket. I am not the most diligent at emptying that bucket (plastic Folgers coffee can) but I can't say I've ever had odors.

@Merkur, fwiw, I plugged the drain of my drip tray with a square of packing tape. It truly only sees drips, and can be easily cleaned. If you're often spilling foam into the drip tray, my method won't work for you of course.

Not sure about the bucket part but I put sanitizer down the drip tray drain. I flush the drain when I clean the beer taps. My drain runs into a pipe connected to the brewery sink trap.

A mix of water and baking soda should help too or even a weak bleach/water mix.

Back