Yeast Still Good?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad_Horse_Brews

Reaction score
So, bought all my supplies to brew a batch of red yesterday, came home and put it all with my beer stuff. However, like a moron, I forgot to pull out the yeast and the hops. The hops were pellets, O'm guessing they'll be ok, but the yeast was a liquid yeast. It sat overnight at about 68 degrees. Is it still any good or do I need to buy new yeast?

Should be okay! What brand? I know th wyeast says on it you may want to have it acclimate to temp for up to three days if I recall... Rdwhahb

Totally fine. You wouldn't want it to sit in a 120° car for a few hours. But overnight indoors is fine.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm working on this batch as I write this out since the consensus was that it'd be fine. Learn as you go I suppose! Again, really appreciate the quick responses!

Well... Maybe not. Checking my primary this morning shows ZERO activity. Do I just buy more yeast and drop it in? Is there something other than leaving it out and shaking it that you are supposed to do with liquid yeast? I know the powder type should be prepped in a bit of water at like 82 degrees as per the package, should this have been warmed up a tad too? Any input would be appreciated, looks like I'm making a lunchtime brew store run!

Think of it this way. Your yeast can't be hurt. Otherwise anybody who hold a starter at RT to crash the yeast would be killing all the yeast. If nothing else, what you did probably helps the yeast by reducing the number of thermal cycles the yeast went through.

THere's no way 68 deg F would harm your yeast--unless you meant Celsius. The LHBS keeps the packages colder than that and that temperature is where most ales ferment. If it is the amount of time at 68 you are worried about, don't sweat it.

Don't just look at your airlock activity. It sounds like you just pitched the package instead of making a starter. This means you will have a longer lag time. It is going to take longer for the yeast to reproduce themselves to a large enough number that you can see any activity.

Everything everyone keeps saying I keep replying out loud with "That's what I thought...." But there's still nuthin' happnen'. I'm going to give it until tomorrow afternoon and then if there's still no sign of anything happening I'll re-pitch the yeast I guess. It's all a learning process.

And if it was one vial in a full batch it will take some time to start. A lot of.folks always make a starter with white labs stuff.

Yeah, it's finally starting to kick off. That took longer than the dry yeast ever has. A lack of patience and excessive worrying are a bad combo. Here's to good beer...

Back