Yeast Starter(s) For a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fknizner

Reaction score
I'm brewing a lager this weekend (5 gallon batch, OG ~1.050, Ferm temp ~48) and I plan on using Wyeast Danish Lager yeast.

I've got 2 stir plates and 2, 1 L Erlenmeyer flasks. I feel like I have three options here, and want opinions on which is the best:

Option 1) Make 1, 1L Starter, using 1 Wyeast Pack.

Option 2) Make 2, 1L Starters, using 1/2 of a Wyeast Pack in each.

Option 3) Make 2, 1L Starters, using 1 Wyeast Pack in each.

While I'm pretty sure with option 3 will yield the most yeast, this option also costs the most.

What I'm really interested in, is whether there will be a significant difference in the amount of yeast produced between options 1 and 2.

And further, if there is a significant difference between options 1 and 2, I'm interested to know whether the option which yields the higher amount of yeast will be significantly different than option 3.

That is to say, will the amount of yeast produced by [the greater of] option 1 or 2 be sufficient to inoculate a 5 gallon batch, (thus making option 3 unnecessary)?

Option 1. Then chill, decant and allow to come to room temp. In a separate vessel boil up some more DME like u normally would. Chill to pitching temps and add it to the original starter and let that work again. Same idea as the first step u just keep "adding fuel to the fire" per se. They keep eating and reproducing and adding to their numbers.

Cheapest option since DME costs a lot less then two smack packs.

Edit: Although Mr Malty is saying go just over a 1L starter with two packs. Guess it comes down to how much $$$ u wanna go thru.

Option 1. Then chill, decant and allow to come to room temp. In a separate vessel boil up some more DME like u normally would. Chill to pitching temps and add it to the original starter and let that work again. Same idea as the first step u just keep "adding fuel to the fire" per se. They keep eating and reproducing and adding to their numbers.

What's the time-schedule for this?

Latest posts

Back