Yeast Starter / Pitch Slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brewing this recipe up again that I found here on HBT!
What size yeast starter do I need to make to use the slurry for the recipe below?
How much of the slurry do I use?
I would like to brew a beer using US-05 and reuse the slurry to pitch into the Bourbon County recipe.
Thanks for your help
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407158505.304630.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like to use this calculator for starters and pitching harvested yeast. Select the slurry tab. You can manually enter the slurry density for your harvested yeast.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Mrmalty will also have information on how many billion cells of yeast per ml to calculate according to how much hop debris and break material is in the harvested yeast.
http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast-tools.php

If you pitch the harvested yeast within two weeks a starter will not be needed.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407160510.225398.jpg
So pitch about 544ml of slurry into the Bourbon County?
If I brewed 10 gallons of a 1.050-1.060 beer I could pitch 544ml of that slurry into the 15 gallons of Bourbon County?

Enter your numbers into the Brewers Friend calculator. Use 1.25 Pro Brewer (Ale, or High Gravity Ale) for the pitch rate. Target pitch rate is 2126 billion cells. BF indicates you have 1583 billion cells available.

According to the BF calculator 0.731 ml of slurry would be the correct pitch for 15 gallons of 0.129 ale.

It is a matter of how you interpret how much yeast you have. I always take the conservative route for estimating cells per ml. I would rather over pitch than stall at a high FG by under pitching.

Enter your numbers in BF also. Just in case I didn't transfer all of the numbers correctly.

Have you brewed the stout before? Did you get that kind of attenuation from us05? Its my understanding that the yeast will die when abv reaches around 11%.

Have you brewed the stout before? Did you get that kind of attenuation from us05? Its my understanding that the yeast will die when abv reaches around 11%.

That's what I ended up at.. 11%
What would be a better yeast to get above 11% adding the oak and some bourbon kicked it to 11.9%

Back