Yeast Starter Calculators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSager89

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what some opinions are of the various calculators for yeast starters are. I have Beersmith, and so the tool that it uses, but I've also been led towards yeastcalc and Mr. Malty as well, which I have noticed are usually significantly different from the beer smith numbers (and sometimes each other also).

Any opinions on which offers the best formula?

I always use the Kai Stirplate option at YeastCalc, has yet to fail me.

Brulosopher said:
I always use the Kai Stirplate option at YeastCalc, has yet to fail me.

+1
I use Kai's as well because he has done several actual studies on specific growth using a stir plate and has documented it on his website

duboman said:
+1 I use Kai's as well because he has done several actual studies on specific growth using a stir plate and has documented it on his website

He is amazingly dedicated.

I used yeastcalc for my must recent batch, a dunkel weizen. The numbers as far as estimated OG to DME amount was really accurate so I'm glad to hear that others have had good success.

With a stir plate, do you leave the stirer on the whole time the starter friends or just intermittently?

JSager89 said:
I used yeastcalc for my must recent batch, a dunkel weizen. The numbers as far as estimated OG to DME amount was really accurate so I'm glad to hear that others have had good success.

With a stir plate, do you leave the stirer on the whole time the starter friends or just intermittently?

The whole time which is really only 18-24 hours. Just a fast enough spin to create a small steady vortex. Too fast and you can create too much heat and stress the yeast as well as throw the stir bar off

I like the fact that yeastcalc does multi-step starters. It was really helpful for the two lagers I just brewed.

I don't know anything about the accuracy of the numbers, but I use yeastcalc because it is so flexible. It is really easy to play around with the variables and figure out what I want to do with my starter each time I brew.

Different size starters, multiple steps, whatever you could possibly want to do with a starter.

Back