Yeast starter better WITHOUT stirplate?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
Color me surprised but I hear on a podcast this morning - Experimental Homebrewing I think - that one of the hosts believes he gets better results WITHOUT a stir plate. This is the first I've ever come across this contrarian position.

Any thoughts on this?

I run my stir plate for awhile before I pitch. Then for a short while after. Then just let it go on its own. It oxygenates the wort, then stirs the sleepy yeast into suspension. Have had great results.

Prior to LODO, SNS was the HOT topic on the forums. Families were divided brother against brother, lives were destroyed, and babies went fatherless from the fallout. LOL. Of course I jest but some of these ideas take on a very strong us against them life of their own.

I recommend you try it and see what you think.

Prior to LODO, SNS was the HOT topic on the forums. Families were divided brother against brother, lives were destroyed, and babies went fatherless from the fallout. LOL. Of course I jest but some of these ideas take on a very strong us against them life of their own.

Try it and see what you think.

Dogs and cats living together, ... MASS HYSTERIA!

I will stick with the stirplate so that I don't have to shake it. Almost all, if not all, the calculators ask for a larger starter if you are not using a stirplate, so I will save the money on DME and make the smaller starters on the stirplate. It is also said to go 18-24 hours when using a stirplate and 24-48 hours with the shake method..........

I use a gallon cider jar for my yeast starters, but don't have a stir plate. My swirl/shake method does great and have not had a problem that way since I started over two years ago. Typically I go 30-48 hours before pitching.

Color me surprised but I hear on a podcast this morning - Experimental Homebrewing I think - that one of the hosts believes he gets better results WITHOUT a stir plate. This is the first I've ever come across this contrarian position.

Any thoughts on this?

Someone somewhere thinks an unquantified "better" result was obtained without a stirplate. Stop the presses!

my completely uninformed 2¢ - I've been babysitting bread yeasts for years in various forms

letting it stand on the side in the kitchen at the right temp for the yeast with adequate but not excessive food (DME or whatever) is most of the problem - get a bit of oxygen in to it every few hours is going to help a lot

a stirplate is likely an advance on that - but people brewed beer for centuries without them just fine - I won't knock them - but people not wanting to spend that to culture yeasts really don't have to - it's a 5% or 10% gain or something

Latest posts

Back