Yeast ready set go, stop, go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HogFan07

Reaction score
So I’ve been brewing all grain for a while but I’m still a newb. I recently moved my beer from one room to another (kid was trying to mess with it). The yeast is an ale yeast (came in a kit note sure what kind). The first room was 68 +/- degrees. It fermented for about a week (done after 3 days really) and I moved it to the other room because I wasn’t able to do anything with it right away. The new room it sits around 62-64 degrees. Well it started up again and was vigorously bubbling for about 4 days. I didn’t shake it on the move and no oxygen got to it. Just curious if this is normal with yeast and temp changes? Is there such a thing as a yeast rest (kinda like a mash rest at different temperatures)?

The bubbling you're seeing could be caused be several things. Could be the change of temperature and pressure causing some bubbling. More likely though, it sounds like you roused up the yeast when moving your fermenter. No big deal, just let it finish up and continue as usual.

I figured I hadn’t hurt anything but was surprised how it took off again. I assumed fermentation was complete but obviously it wasn’t.

Curious if it would help out FG because of this.

Either you restarted fermentation by moving it as stated above or the other likely scenero is off gassing of co2 in susupension.

Back