Yeast out the blow-off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

907_fellow

Reaction score
So I brewed a Snow White wit with white labs Belgian wit yeast. OG at 1.048. Brewed last Friday 10-26, made a 1.4l starter on a stir plate. It was my first starter and I wasn't expecting it to be so fast. I started with an air-lock only to find it totally plugged and overflowing the next morning 10hrs later. I immediately changed to a blow off and there was a lot of **** coming three the tube. Now it's wensday morning and fermentation has slowed way down.
Observing my blow-off container, it appears some yeast may have passed threw. Is this a bad thing?

Still looks like plenty is left in the primary. Sorry I'm still a lil green to the scene, this was brew number 8 for me.

image-234903684.jpg

Not a problem... happens all the time. More than enough left to finish the job!

Cheers!

Good to know. I guess some of what is in there could be trub and what not. Just wasn't 100% sure if this was something that can happen. The other times I have used a blow-off, I hadn't noticed much sediment.

daksin said:
You're good. 99.99999999999% of the yeast is in the beer, not the krausen.

It appears some of the yeast was in the Krausen, possibly more then .0000001% haha judging by the amount in my blow off container. The amount of sediment in there, and how much of that is actually yeast, was my concern.

Yea, obviously an exaggeration, but still, it'd be impossible to blow off too much yeast! Actually, though, people have used blowoffs into sanitized, sealed/airlocked containers to sort of auto-top-crop their yeast for reuse. I think that's quite clever.

Haha ya it is. It was a lil hairy while fermentation was goin crazy, but that was all the blow off tube I had left.

Back