Yeast Flavor After Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AImhoff88

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to home brewing (6 - 7 batches). Every time I bottle my brew, I let it sit for about a month, chill it and then drink. Every single batch, whether pale ale, oatmeal stout or hard lemonade, has a strong yeast flavor. It doesn't matter whether I leave the wort in the primary for two or four weeks. I also make sure to leave the dormant yeast sitting at the bottom of the bottle when I pour it into a glass.

Would racking the brew to a secondary fermenter help? Would chilling the wort before bottling help?

Chilling before transferring should help. Also try moss or gelatin. I think yeast taste is kind of part of the game unless you want to keg and then transfer through a filter. Secondary may help a little too.

Can you describe the yeast flavor?

Perhaps you need to be more careful when racking to avoid sucking up a bunch of yeast off the bottom of the fermenter.

Chilling before transferring should help. Also try moss or gelatin. I think yeast taste is kind of part of the game unless you want to keg and then transfer through a filter. Secondary may help a little too.

Would chilling before transferring kill yeast necessary for secondary fermentation/bottling?

Can you tell me more about moss and gelatin?

Back