Yeast Energizer as Mead Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Hodgson

Reaction score
I have made one mead so far, JAOM. In an effort to unlearn the things I assumed to be true when making this mead I am now looking to do a traditional in order to learner the proper techniques of mead-making.

I have a bag of Yeast Energizer from my LHBS, I use it sparingly in my beer brewing (picked it up on accident as a knee-jerk noob) but after researching staggered nutrient additions I am finding that most sites acknowledge the difference between yeast nutrient/energizer to be minimal with both containing the required nutrients for yeast health.

I have two questions: Can I use the yeast energizer as substitute to "yeast nutrient" for my staggered additions or is the consensus that the difference is negligible?

Second, can I use it to re-hydrate yeast if I go that route? Most sites refer to Go Ferm as the go-to product for re-hydrating to ensure a good kick-off to fermentation, and yet again it seems like this product has similar nutrients to what I already have?

I am not trying to choose the lazy route just wanted to reach out to those making successful mead on what is/isn't kosher as far as nutrient/energizer/go ferm substitutions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Here's the scoop, Andrew Hodgson: Go Ferm contains none of the compounds and chemicals that are known to damage yeast cells when those compounds are added to the water in which you are rehydrating the yeast. Think the first meals after heart transplant surgery will typically not include burgers and french fries or high fat icecream... Most (all?) lab produced "nutrients" contain such compounds - including organic nitrogen. Substances that yeast really require shortly after they begin fermenting.
That said, my understanding is that "energizer" is to nutrients as caffeine is to a three course meal. If you use compounds such as Fermaid O (or K) or you use Wyeast Nutrient Blend these supply the yeast with 100 percent of the sterols, the minerals (macro and micro) they need and help protect the cells from byproducts that their fermentation tends to produce. Energizer (I think) contains some of the vitamin B the yeast needs, ammonia and magnesium but not much else. But others who are more knowledgeable about yeast and their needs may have a different understanding.

If you don't have GoFerm, the next best thing to use for rehydration is tap water at 104 degrees F. (Tap water contains minerals that yeast need, which is why distilled/RO water is not recommended unless your tap water is really dirty.)

Yeast nutrient and yeast energizer can vary widely depending on the manufacturer, and the names alone don't really tell you anything about how to use them. I've seen mead recipes that indicate that you should use both, e.g. 2 tsp each for a 5 gallon batch. Depending on what's in your yeast energizer, adding just that according to the instructions is probably better than nothing, but the compounds that Bernard listed are definitely recommended, Fermaid O in particular (look up TOSNA 2.0).

Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff's book, Yeast is considered, I think, one of the best and most accessible (for non microbiologists). That, and Scott's Lab handbook (which is downloadable - and free) is also a must-read.

I think a simplified answer is this...
Goferm is for re-hydration.
For your staggered nutrient addition you will probably need a combination of DAP and Fermaid K or Fermaid O. Many people now prefer Fermaid O because it contains a source of organic nitrogen. But either will work.
It's important that you don't go to the LHBS and simply ask for yeast nutrient or energizer! Ask for products by name and do your research. Different companies package them under different names and nutrient and energizer seem to be interchangeable terms as far as they are concerned. I have also ran across a fair amount of ignorant brew shop employees in my life.

Back