Yeast Combination - Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvin Soares

Reaction score
Hello guys! I hope you can help me about it!

I'm making a Belgian Golden Strong Ale recipe and I'm difficulty to find a specifics yeast to this style.

White Labs in Brazil is impossible to find!

In my region, I have just dry yeast on hand ( Fermentis, Lallemand, Mangrove's) and I'm worried about attenuation. The OG of this recipe is 1,070 and I would like to get between 1,007 and 1,009 FG, than the attenuation of yeast should be about 90% and only a few dry yeast have this attenuation, usually a Saison yeast.

OK, I thought, Why don't I combine yeast?? I thought using a Belgian yeast to initial fermentation and after 2/3 to final I add the Saison yeast (Belle Saison for example) to finalize the rest of sugar.

What do you think?? Any suggestion to combine?

Maybe T-58 or Lallmeand Abbaey to initial and Belle Saison to finalize.

Thank you guys for your help!

Thank you guys!

I will do the recipe again considering these informations, maybe WB-06 + other Belgian Yeats can be a good combination!

I'm following other threds about it and I will consider the result these guys.

When I will brewing this beer, I will share you!

Can you get duvel in the shops?
It's bottle conditioned so you could try growing up the yeast.
Yes I Can.

I think yeast used for refermentation is different from primary fermentation, but this is a good ideia, I will search more information about it!

Hello guys! I hope you can help me about it!

I'm making a Belgian Golden Strong Ale recipe and I'm difficulty to find a specifics yeast to this style.

White Labs in Brazil is impossible to find!

In my region, I have just dry yeast on hand ( Fermentis, Lallemand, Mangrove's) and I'm worried about attenuation. The OG of this recipe is 1,070 and I would like to get between 1,007 and 1,009 FG, than the attenuation of yeast should be about 90% and only a few dry yeast have this attenuation, usually a Saison yeast.

OK, I thought, Why don't I combine yeast?? I thought using a Belgian yeast to initial fermentation and after 2/3 to final I add the Saison yeast (Belle Saison for example) to finalize the rest of sugar.

What do you think?? Any suggestion to combine?

Maybe T-58 or Lallmeand Abbaey to initial and Belle Saison to finalize.

Thank you guys for your help!

You might want to try M41 Belgian Strong Ale. It's a very high attenuator that in my experience provides classic Belgian character. As it happens, I'm using it tomorrow in Belgian blonde.

A few months ago, I used K1V-1116 in a Belgian dubbel, and I think it turned out nice. I've tasted a couple of small bottles a few weeks apart and it is maturing nicely. I'm going to try to wait until Easter to open one of the big bottles. I haven't taken one to a HB club meeting yet, we have a few members who really know Belgians and can tell me if the ester profiles are really appropriate for the style. (I'm not going to tell them what yeast I used until after they try it)

Edit: but you won't get 90% attenuation with it. High 70s to maybe 80% maybe.

You might want to try M41 Belgian Strong Ale. It's a very high attenuator that in my experience provides classic Belgian character. As it happens, I'm using it tomorrow in Belgian blonde.
I didn't know this yeast! Man, I liked the informations about it, I will check with my local store brew if it have this yeast!

Thank you for support

I didn't know this yeast! Man, I liked the informations about it, I will check with my local store brew if it have this yeast!

Thank you for support

Thank you for support

I was really impressed by the Belgian character from this yeast. Hopefully your local store carries it, or worst case scenario it should be easy enough to find online. Good luck.

Back