Yeast bite - why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetyu

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew a NE(ish) IPA with double dry hops, one at high krausen and another dosage few days before cold crash and bottle.

Out of the 2 trials:
  • Both beers resulted in a unpleasant bitterness though the hop aroma is perfect.
  • I've used +10% wheat malt and +10%oat flakes to ensure decent haziness. In one case I've used London ale III while the latter was tested with Kveik (Simonaitis).
  • Both beers were cold crashed for at least 3 days before bottling as this is my general routine that works with other styles.

• Calculated IBU (and bu:gu) kept low at ~30 which comes from a small 60mins boil, rest is 0 minute with quick cooling. I know dry hop can increase bitterness but in these cases I tend to believe it is not added IBU but something 'else'.
So, both batch ended with a really promising haziness and hop aroma but the - I assume - yeast bite ruins it totally.

Any proposal / idea are truly welcomed to overcome this issue.

Thanks!

Are you sure it’s yeast that’s the issue? I know heavily hopped beers will have a sort of bite in the back of your throat at first. It’s kind of a burning sensation. I have read that it is from suspended hop material. After a couple of weeks it should settle out.

Just curious - why first dry hop at high krausen? Have to assume that was only 2-3 days into fermentation. I can understand dry hopping before fermentation is complete, but that early puzzles me.

Just curious - why first dry hop at high krausen? Have to assume that was only 2-3 days into fermentation. I can understand dry hopping before fermentation is complete, but that early puzzles me.

That has to do with the chemical reaction from dryhopping when the yeast is active. There is a biotransformation. Chemical interactions between the metabolism of the yeast and oils and flavor compounds in the hops yields rich, distinct flavors that don't necessarily happen when dry-hopping occurs after fermentation has ceased. This is commonly done in NE IPAs for that reason.

I dislike "yeast bite" in these beers, so I generally wait until the murky sludge has dropped out before consuming it. Which yeast strain(s) are you using? Wyeast 1318 drops out pretty well (but may need a bit more time), and I don't notice the yeast bite, but still get the juicy flavors.

Thanks Yooper for that clarification...can't wait to get home and try this on the pliny I've got going.

It's not yeast bite, it's from the hops. Chew on a hop pellet and you'll understand.

Yep, from the hops. I'm battling it right now on a keg that had a 5 ounce dry hop. I haven't pulled a taste for a few days, need to try it again and see if it's still present. Mine is a 4.5% NEIPA, dry hopped w/ CMG

Thanks to all for the comments!

Which yeast strain(s) are you using?
First trial was 1318 the 2nd one was the Sigmund's Voss Kveik from theyeastbay.

The majority of you says this has nothing to do with the yeast but the tiny hop particles.
In this case how should I play it next time? Shall I cold crash for longer period(e.g. over 1 full week) before bottling? Woudn't that have a negative effect on the 2nd dry hop addition's aroma yield (e.g. grassy notes)?

Wouldn't worry about 10-14 days of dry hopping creating grassy flavors. You could also pour from the bottle more carefully to leave some sediment behind. Keeping them cold and still is sort of "cold crashing". Just try not to disturb the sediment

Thanks to all for the comments!

First trial was 1318 the 2nd one was the Sigmund's Voss Kveik from theyeastbay.

The majority of you says this has nothing to do with the yeast but the tiny hop particles.
In this case how should I play it next time? Shall I cold crash for longer period(e.g. over 1 full week) before bottling? Woudn't that have a negative effect on the 2nd dry hop addition's aroma yield (e.g. grassy notes)?

I've not had the yeast bite flavor from hop particles. I would guess it's possible, but generally those murky beers have yeast in suspension, not hop pellets which are heavier and fall to the bottom of the fermenter more readily than non-flocculant yeast.

I don't cold crash, but if you do I would make it quick. The longer it sits before bottling, the less hops aroma will be retained. You may want to wait a little longer before the second round of dryhops, just to help ensure that more yeast flocculates out. Careful racking is also a way to avoid suspended solids, but not yeast.

Just longer conditioning period before serving. If it’s in a bottle just let it sit in the refrigerator for a week and then try it again. I would also agree if you are pouring it from the bottle try not to disturb the sediment.

Latest posts

Back