Wyeast pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Ok so I just received a package of grains and wyeast in the mail. One of the yeast smack packs looks to have been smacked as it was fully expanded...the company says that this happens often and that I should make a yeast starter to check for viability... They also said that even if it is activated it should still be good for 3-6 months...I am taking his word for it I have dry yeast to make the beer if the starter doesn't work...but my question is has anyone else had this happen in shipment and was your yeast good to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ive had, and it was fine. The starter may have took a bit longer, but it may have been my imagination.

I haven't had it happen but know that it does happen. The people who don't panic and throw it away, then make a starter have pretty good success with the swollen packages.

During the summer it is best to get your liquid yeast locally, pay for overnight shipping or stick to dry yeast. At least have dry yeast on hand as a backup.

BTW, unless you are making a very low ABV beer you should be making a starter anyway.

I have been using liquid and making starters for about 6 months now...just never had a fully expanded pouch yet. Just want to compare notes with people who have had this experience.

I've gotten smack packs in the mail that were fully expanded and I've gotten smack packs that were partially frozen (slushy). I used both with great success.

I just put mine in the fridge and am hoping for success! The swelling seems to be going down. And the starter seems to be intact so I guess well see!

All good reasons to shop at your LHBS. Also take along a cooler for transporting your yeast & hops back home.

Just don't have the time to drive 30 miles to the brew shop. While I wish I could it's just not that local. And their hours are not conducive to my hours I've never got a bad batch of hops, grains or yeast yet...fingers crossed

Thanks. I put it in the fridge fully expanded. And we'll see what happens in a few weeks when it's time to to get those puppies in the starter! Just happy it wasn't my Belgian ale yeast.

All the smack pack does is proof the yeast. You should really make a starter regardless of whether the package has been smacked or not.

Latest posts

Back