Smack pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoltan

Reaction score
I'm using Wyeast for the first time. Someone explain the smack pack concept to me. Is this a way of packaging less yeast and making up for it by having the yeast multiply with the smacking? My package was inflated, presumably with CO2, and couldn't be smacked. When I pitched it, the smack pod came out into the wort and had to be fished out. I cut it open and added it to the beer. Was this a mistake? What's in it? The yeast in the envelope with thick, so I had to add some wort and shake it up. I'm making a high-gravity beer and so used two packages. I'm worried that the yeast won't be as vigorous, and also that I contaminated the beer with all the fussing. I guess we'll see what happens.

I think of the "smack pack" as a mini "viability starter" of sorts, but I have occasionally had a pack at least halfway inflated with the nutrient envelope still intact. Used them anyway and they have always worked fine...

Cheers!

The "smack" proves the yeast's viability by swelling the pack.
There's generally not enough time between smacking and pitching to grow much more cells.

Apparently those packs can swell by just sitting in the fridge. Maybe some leaks out of the bubble over time?

Might just be whatever gas is inside the envelope expands when out of the fridge?
Ime they only get "hard" when the nutrient bag is popped and the yeast is allowed to warm up for an hour or more...

Cheers!

Thanks for the answers here. If the reason for the smack pack is just to demonstrate the yeast is viable, that seems an elaborate means to demonstrate something that must be true 99% of the time.

Could be a bit more to it: folks that do the "vitality starter" thing pitch the yeast at high krausen. Perhaps the nutrient pack is just an appetizer to get the yeast super hungry and accelerate the start :)

Cheers!

You mean high gravity (as in sugar content)? (Krausen, I think, is the foam produced by the action of the yeast, and comes later.)

As day_trippr mentioned, the nutrient pack is inside. It won't hurt at all to add to the beer. It's the yeast that's on the outside of it, what I'd guess you call the immediately available liquid if you open up the silver foil. No harm mixing some worth with it to help get it out, or adding some water.

You didn't mention which yeast it was. Some seem to be excitable and swell up even when not smacked, and yeah it makes them not smackable. I think it's 1056 that's this way for me fairly often. It's kind of always been like that so I don't worry about it.

You mean high gravity (as in sugar content)? (Krausen, I think, is the foam produced by the action of the yeast, and comes later.)

I meant what I said :) A vitality starter is pitched when it has erupted in vigorous activity. That is called "high krausen", and indeed it is related to the visible foam when the yeast get seriously chomping.

Also, Chico-related yeasts invariably are lethargic to get going. Happens all the time around here, whether US-05, 1056, BRY-97, WLP001, etc...

Cheers!

I am not a “ Smack Pack” fan. It’s a gimmick. I’ve seen them take a long time to swell - which usually creates confusion and a delay in pitching. Plus, I want to be nice to my yeast, not slap the hell out of it.

Unless maybe trauma gets its attention or something.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back