Wyeast London Ale III. Massive crousen needs a blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeHoffman

Reaction score
I have a dual thermal controller fermentation chamber, heat and cool, and have not had a fermentation get out of control for years since I built this system. I was shocked to see my 6,1/2 gal carboys with only 4 gals of wart in each totally overwhelmed by this yeast, guizering foam out of there blown tops. Any one els experienced this with the London III?

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

I brewed a Best Bitter the other day with this yeast and it doesn't have a huge krausen yet, maybe a couple inches. I've been skimming it though, so that is probably why. It's fermenting at about 68F. What is yours at?

I had my set point keeping it at 68 with a couple degrees of upward mobility to allow it to naturally rise in temp. It held at 68 for about 12 hours after it started with normal sized crousen and then went crazy in a mater of 2 hours or so it had blown its air lock at 70 deg, but as soon as I got the blow off hoses in place it was already subsiding. Two days later and it has almost finished activity. This was in an oatmeal stout OG 1.050

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

1318 is known as a true top-cropping yeast where the bulk of the yeast cake lives on top of the wort. What you are experiencing is completely normal for this yeast. I've brewed 6 or 7 batches with it since September and really like it. I have a Speidel fermenter with a wide opening and harvest the yeast right off the top after three days. It's almost pure yeast with very little trub and I usually collect enough to pitch 2 or 3 batches without the need of a starter...

Wow that's great, I'm using traditional carboys, I've got to start a system where I can do that. I guess those big mouth ones could work.

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

Yep, very easy to do and saves money to boot. I just ordered some WY1272, an american ale strain that's a top cropper as well. I hope it's as prolific as WY1318 :D

Love this yeast, and yes, I've had the same experience. Tons of blowoff - I always use a blowoff tube with it, even with 1.5gal headspace on my last batch it managed to make a mess!

this yeast is notorious for that and having persistent krausen that never drops. Be prepared to poke through it to siphon

Yep that stuff is sticking around in a way I've never seen. So is the small crousen that doesn't drop out pure yeast?

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

Not completely pure, but about as close as you're going to get out of a fermenter...

Technically the recommendation is to harvest once you are half-way to terminal gravity. You also need to leave some yeast in there to finish the job, so don't get too greedy :D

I generally don't measure gravity and harvest in the 48 - 72 hr range and have not had any problems.

So what is your method of storing/packaging the yeast for future use after harvesting.

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

I use a SS ladle, SS canning funnel, either pint or half-pint mason jars and the white plastic lids that are available for mason jars. All get sanitized in a bucket of starsan.

Transfer yeast to the jars using the ladle and funnel:

~75 - 100 ml if I am planning to direct pitch that particular jar into a <1.060 wort within the next 3 - 4 weeks.

~25 - 50 ml if I am reserving it to make a starter

I will either grab some of the fermenting wort to store the yeast in or top off the jars up to 3/4 full with some cheap commercial beer. In either case it is wise not to tighten the lids completely because the yeast will continue to generate CO2 for a while, especially if you included wort from the fermenter.

With 1318 in particular it will behave like it does in the fermenter, some will sink to the bottom, some will stay on top of any liquid in the mason jar. It might even froth up a bit, so after I'm reasonably certain it's done off-gassing, I'll tighten the lid and swirl everything up to get all the yeast into suspension. Remove the lid, wash and sanitize it, clean up any beer/yeast that may have gotten on the outside threads of the mason jar with a starsan soaked paper towel. Tighten the lid, I use a piece of scotch tape on the lid to note the strain, harvest date and generation.

Written out it sounds like a big hassle, but it's really not a big deal. I like using the white mason jar lids because in my experience they never get a completely air-tight seal, so if the yeast wasn't completely done off-gassing, it acts like a pressure release valve.

Wow thanks for writing all that up sorry my response took so long

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

Latest posts

Back