Wyeast 1318 (london ale III) ester flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
What are some of the ester flavors wyeast 1318 (london ale III) produces when fermented at high temperature? I just got done brewing a IPA with this yeast and fermented at 70-72 degrees. After trying this beer at the 2 week mark and prior to bottling, this beer tasted great. I bottled carbonated the beer and ended up trying a bottle only after 8 days from bottling due to excitement. The beer tasted like bubblegum and I am guessing it is an ester from the yeast. Has anyone else experienced a bubblegum flavor when using wyeast 1318? Do you guys think once these bottles are completely carbonated that the beer may loose this bubblegum flavor? Is it possible the yeast was still in the process of working when I opened a bottle at the 8 day mark and that I haven't given the yeast enough time to clean up after itself, resulting in this bubblegum flavor? FYI, the bottles are conditioning at the same temperature of fermentation, 70-72 degrees.

I've gotten peach, strawberry, and almost fruit punch overtones from my last venture with WY1318. Are you sure that you fermented your beer at that temperature, not ambient? Because 70-72 is still in range, albeit slightly higher than I consider optimal. From my experience with other English strains, I wouldn't expect bubblegum to crop up unless the beer got to 75-80F or higher in the first 72 hours.
It's possible for the beer to mellow a bit, given time. Give it a few more weeks and have a go.

I'm on my 5th gen or so using this yeast to make NE IPAs. I pitch at 62 degrees and keep it at that temp for 5 days. Then I allow it to finish at room temp for a 14 day fermentation. No esters to speak of. The cool start also helps mitigate the huge krausen this yeast throws.

Back