Wyeast London ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeHoffman

Reaction score
The info from wyeast on this strain warns of diacetyl production and autolysis which sounds scary but it also sounds like a really good yeast if don right. I have a firmentation chamber with dual climate controllers so I should be able to make this yeast work on my next ESB but I am not sure what exactly to do to avoid the problems associated with this strain. Anybody use this yeast? Any advice for me?

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

Its a great yeast. No autolysis worries. Just give it another day or two for diacetyl reduction. Search WLP002 or WY 1968 (same strain) for more info. Plenty of info available.

Just warm it up a little bit as fermentation is dying down. Diacetyl rest. I haven't used it recently, but never had an autolysis problem with it.

I am have a clone going to secondary with this yeast and i am impressed with it so far. And for an ESB yeast it will attenuate to 10% if aerated and properly pitched. Supposedly this is Boneyard's yeast of choice. Can't confirm for sure, but my clone tastes like boneyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Recently brewed an all grain amber ale with this yeast, was a fantastic beer and I'll be brewing again without changing a thing except a water profile tweak. OG 1054 FG 1012, mashed 150F, pitched and fermented at 64F, started raising slowly at high krausen for about 2 days to finally peak at 68F where it sat for another couple weeks. Racked, kegged and carbed at 3 weeks post pitch, took it to a party the next day, big hit with craft beer crowd. Very clean, subtle yeast contribution, nothing off.

Back