Wyeast American Ale II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
I was picking up supplies for Yooper's Ruination clone last week and they were out of American Ale, so I asked the guy about American Ale II. He said it would emphasize the hops so I thought great...let's try it. So I brewed Saturday and pitched Saturday afternoon. The swamp cooler water has been staying about 60-62 F the entire time.

Now that I finally get around to reading about American Ale II, I see that it emphasizes the hops at the HIGHER end of the range.

I was planning to let the temp come up in a couple of days, but should I go ahead and bring it up and rouse the yeast in hopes of getting some of that hop emphasis or have I missed my window?

Thanks!

You should be fine. I ferment this yeast around 62-65F, as it ferments cleanly and lets the hop/malt flavors come through. It is not as clean as 1056, but it still can be considered a hop-forward yeast. However, it will produce some sulfur at low temps though, so you need to give it ample time for the sulfur to dissipate. Raising the temp after fermentation helps.

You should be fine. I ferment this yeast around 62-65F, as it ferments cleanly and lets the hop/malt flavors come through. It is not as clean as 1056, but it still can be considered a hop-forward yeast. However, it will produce some sulfur at low temps though, so you need to give it ample time for the sulfur to dissipate. Raising the temp after fermentation helps.

I was planning on raising the temp today but this morning it was blowing off more than it has the past two days so I guess I'll give it another day or two before letting the temp come up. I changed airlocks and gave a quick sniff and only smelled hops, no sulphur.

Back