American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureBrewpub

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time lurker, new member.

I am currently planning an American Pale Ale, and was hoping to get insight on my recipe

Pilsner - 85% (14.7 lbs)
Munich - 7.5% ( 1.3 lbs)
Caramel - 7.5% Percent (1.3 lbs)

Hops- Galaxy 10% pellets, at 50 Minutes left in the boil.

Boiling for 60 Minutes.

I am using Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes

For water I am using culligan bottles, and adding salts to match a mild ale profile according to BeerSmith.

I Live in Germany, so that is the reason for using the malts I am using. Anyone tried something similar to this and could help me understand the flavor profile I could get with this?

Also, I want this beer ready for the last week of February, and I am kegging with forced carbonation.

Thanks! and I look forward to your insights.

Hello everyone, long time lurker, new member.

I am currently planning an American Pale Ale, and was hoping to get insight on my recipe

Pilsner - 85% (14.7 lbs)
Munich - 7.5% ( 1.3 lbs)
Caramel - 7.5% Percent (1.3 lbs)

Hops- Galaxy 10% pellets, at 50 Minutes left in the boil.

Boiling for 60 Minutes.

I am using Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes

For water I am using culligan bottles, and adding salts to match a mild ale profile according to BeerSmith.

I Live in Germany, so that is the reason for using the malts I am using. Anyone tried something similar to this and could help me understand the flavor profile I could get with this?

Also, I want this beer ready for the last week of February, and I am kegging with forced carbonation.

Thanks! and I look forward to your insights.
Oh I forgot to mention, this is a 10.5 gallon natch I am making for a friends promotion party. (2 corny kegs)

If you want an apa, use an apa yeast and add some late hop additions and probably also some dry hopping. A Belgian yeast is completely out of place here.
Thanks! I unfortunately don't have access to an APA yeast where I am. and the American Ale yeast they have available I haven't had good luck with. While this belgian yeast has produced some great beer for me.

Where are you? US05 not available?
No, unfortunately its a two hour drive into belgium to the closest place that sells it, and I can't get it mailed in time. I am located in Western Germany. Not many options here, as there are pretty severe restrictions on homebrewing. I think the Ardennes yeast will give me a pretty good flavor profile, though probably not tasting like a APA. probably more similar to a Belgium Pale Ale, with a lighter color.

No, unfortunately its a two hour drive into belgium to the closest place that sells it, and I can't get it mailed in time. I am located in Western Germany. Not many options here, as there are pretty severe restrictions on homebrewing. I think the Ardennes yeast will give me a pretty good flavor profile, though probably not tasting like a APA. probably more similar to a Belgium Pale Ale, with a lighter color.
It won't be an apa, but it doesn't have to be a bad beer. Maybe label it as a Patersbier. If the hops don't come through heavily, it's basically what it actually is.

I'd reduce the crystal malt to 5% or leave it out.

Back