Wyeast 3944 Belgium Temperature Range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Folks, my basement is too hot to ferment this strain but I have a temperature controlled wine cellar that's within 60 to 62 degrees. I know this is below the recommended range for this strain but I'm itching to make a Belgium Witbier which I was hoping to brew a month ago but life got in the way :(

Anyway, do you think I can ferment at the 60 to 62 degree range ? will turn out ok or is it simply to cold ?

Gerard

That sounds like the perfect temp to me. The beer would probably get up to 65 during fermentation. I would think that temp would give you a cleaner beer. You could take it out of the cellar after the fermentation slows down to make sure it attenuates fully. I don't have experience with that yeast, but I know that would have helped my last (75°) hefe.

Start it our for a few days in the wine cellar and then pull it out and let it warm up to help the yeast finish up.

Back