Wyeast 3787 slow/no start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm posting on of these threads, but in almost 2 years of brewing, I'm having my first "worried about yeast" thread posts.

I pitched an activated (didnt swell much, but I always rdwhahb'd about that) smack pack of 3787 into my 5 gallons of 1.048 Patersbier roughly 36 hours ago at 65 (digital temp probe against bucket). I intentionally pitched one pack without a starter to stress the yeast out a little, but not this much. I've got zero activity, no Krausen, and the wort still smells like wort. I checked it constantly over these 36 hours, and nothing.

I swirled the bucket this morning a little, and bumped it up to 66. Any other ideas if this packet decides its dead? I'm still waiting it out of course, but for how much longer?

Packet was shipped to me in 2days from morebeer (CA) with no cold pack to here in central VA. Production date was 4-something-12.

I wouldn't wait more than a day more. That yeast should start fast and vigorously ferment. You probably got some yeast in very poor shape or dead from the transport. I had this happen with some 3068 that I had delivered in the middle of summer WITH an ice pack. It sat on a USPS truck for a whole weekend, so the ice pack melted and the yeast died. The packet may have just swelled a little from liquid heating up, not from the yeast waking up. I'd get some more yeast. It's always good to have a packet of dry yeast on hand for such instances. Safale T-58 would probably work as a Belgian substitute, although I think there another Belgian dry strain. If you have to wait a long time to get some more yeast, then cool you wort down. Get it below 40F to discourage things from growing in it until you get more yeast.

EDIT: Didn't really mention an exact time to wait. I'd say it should start within 72 hours, and if not pitch more yeast.

I'm thinking so too... Shame really, as I really wanted what was going to be my second batch of Patersbier. I'm thinking I'll pitch a pack of Nottingham tomorrow morning and see what happens.

This is certainly a first for me. Oh well, :mug:

I'm thinking so too... Shame really, as I really wanted what was going to be my second batch of Patersbier. I'm thinking I'll pitch a pack of Nottingham tomorrow morning and see what happens.

This is certainly a first for me. Oh well, :mug:

The yeast is what makes that beer! Run out and buy more of that delicious Belgian yeast, it's going to be pretty boring with Notty.

^^^^ I know, trust me I know, my local doesnt stock it, and I figured with Nottingham being so clean and neutral, that if somehow the yeast fermented something and died out, maybe whatever flavor it left behind wouldn't clash so bad.

I'm completely talking out of my a** here, but this is all new territory for me.

Update - - opened the fermenter to find krausen!!! I'm hoping it's from the 3787 and not something wild that took hold while the smack pack just sat that there. Time and taste tests will tell.

Keep us updated. I'm making a BDSA with 3787, and have just put it in a 750mL 1:10 extract:water starter. Am steeping grains atm and then will boil with extract; not sure whether I should pitch the entire starter into the cooled wort before or after its fermented...

If I do it before starter has finished, that will mean it gets to start fermenting before anything else gets into the wort but it will have a hobbled start, but if I pitch it after the starter has finished, that will mean it might allow wilds to get into the wort but it will have gotten off to a rearing start from the starter. I'm doing this beer for my dad and I have to do it now because he's out of the house and it's a surprise. I know I should have done the starter yesterday or whatever. :p

EDIT: the starter is fermenting quite well, and I've been shaking it a lot, so I guess I'll just pitch it straight in.

I think you'll be fine, given that at least you had a starter going.

My beer has been fermenting strongly for a few days now and I just pulled it from the fridge yesterday to let it free rise where it will sit for 3-4 weeks and then get kegged.

No amount of headspace can withstand the mighty krausen from 3787. : /
Luckily I'm just using a bucket with a loose fitting lid.

Mines been behaving normally as of now. I left it at 65 for two days, and then let it free rise to wherever and it's been gluggling along slowly, which is what this yeast did the last time I used it. I have a blow tube hooked up with 5 gallons in a 6.5 gal bucket, and no actual blowoff. I bet if fermented in the 70s initially, this yeast would go wild.

No amount of headspace can withstand the mighty krausen from 3787. : /
Luckily I'm just using a bucket with a loose fitting lid.

I have golden colored stains on my ceiling that prove you right.:mug:

My next brew with 3787 netted me about 5gal of beer and I used an 8gal fermenter. No more ceiling stains though!

Back