Wyeast 3191 VSS Berliner Weisse Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out the hydrometer was a little broken, so the reading I just took with the new one should be much closer to accurate:
1.009 at room temp, so about 1.0095 with the adjustment

I thought it'd be a bit lower by this point, but then again, I'm a noob when it comes to fermenting beer on my own...so again, thanks for your advice!

Hey, just bottled this bad boy, and it is good and it is sour. I haven't tasted until now, but I'm very impressed. Again, my method was no boil, no heating of the wort in a pot at all, and it has not been racked. It was still in primary when I racked and bottled tonight. Its been at least two months, and at most three(need to check) and I needed the carboy so I bottled tonight. As long as nothing gets messed up I think I have a winner. Its pretty clean tasting despite the Brett, but it does have some subtle complexity that may be from the Brett. As long as the bottle conditioning goes well I think 3191 did a great job. :rockin:

I actually tasted this beer a couple nights ago. It has been in the keg a little less than 2 months. The sourness has definitely picked up some more sourness. I can detect a bit of brett. As it is, it will be a nice summer beer, but some more sour/funkiness would be nice.

So has anyone came to a conclusion as to no boil this, or boil it?

I might be inclined to not boil next time. But, since I was pitching the mixed culture I thought it would best to see how that came out without additional 'helpers.'

I checked the pH again, it is at 3.75. It is about to start getting nice and warm here so I hope that will kick things back into gear and bring that down a few more tenths.

I might be inclined to not boil next time. But, since I was pitching the mixed culture I thought it would best to see how that came out without additional 'helpers.'

I checked the pH again, it is at 3.75. It is about to start getting nice and warm here so I hope that will kick things back into gear and bring that down a few more tenths.

Ok cool. I might just knock out ten gallons of this, it would take no time at all to do another 5 gallons. Thanks again Beerific. :mug: Hopefully it turns out good and I can send ya some.

So has anyone came to a conclusion as to no boil this, or boil it?

I'm very happy with mine(no boil), it needs to carb more - hopefully I added enough priming sugar. If not I'm chillin them down, popping them open, and adding more. They're pretty good IMO.

Ok im gonna go ahead and do a no boil. What temps did you use?

I thought I posted in this thread and was going to call you lazy...but thought better of it and checked myself. I was indeed wrong, here the link to another BW thread where I actually gave some details. I followed the guy on NB forum almost exactly except the yeast. Single decoction, mash hop, a couple long low restes and then no-boil:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=481090&postcount=1

Don't wade through that, here you go:

Let me post my recipe in this thread.

I'll be making 15 gallons of it soon. I'm growing some lacto at 98F as we speak!

The comments at the bottom are Mashweasel's.

The IBUs are wrong due to no-boil but they should be in the 5IBU range...

8@tch #27 - Berliner Weissbier - 2nd try
Berliner Weiss

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/15/2008
Batch Size: 15.00 gal
Brewer: Andreas Georgiades
Boil Size: 15.88 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 0 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
7 lbs 12.0 oz Wheat Unmalted (3.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
1.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (0 min) (Mash Hop) Hops -
1 Pkgs German Ale II (White Labs #WLP003) Yeast-Ale
3 Pkgs Lactobacillus Delbrueckii (Wyeast Labs #4335) [Add to Secondary] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.028 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.030 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.006 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.997 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 2.78 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.29 %
Bitterness: 0.0 IBU Calories: 123 cal/pint
Est Color: 2.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Decoction Mash, Single Total Grain Weight: 15.50 lb
Sparge Water: 10.24 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Decoction Mash, Single Step Time Name Description Step Temp
35 min Protein Rest Add 31.00 qt of water at 127.5 F 122.0 F
45 min Saccharification Decoct 13.37 qt of mash and boil it 155.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Used in some authentic German styles. Attempt to draw decoction from the thickest portion of the mash. Profiles vary. Some traditional German mashes use a long acid rest at 40 deg C. Also some sources recommend the decoction amount be given a 15 minute saccharification rest at 158 F (70 C) before boiling it.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 4.0
Pressure/Weight: 25.9 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 75.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

The souring of the beer comes from the lactobacillus found on the grain when it ferments, NOT before fermentation. As I said before. A simple grist of 50% wheat and 50% pils is the way to go. Something like 10 IBUs of any german hop will be fine of which they will be mash hopped. A single decoction is a must b/c this beer is not boiled. A sour mash will not accomplish the level of sourness, carbonation and dryness for which this style is known. Pitch both ale yeast and lactobacillus.

Fermentation: Open fermentation for 4 days, starting at 68F going up to 75F. 2ndary, ~75F for 7 days.

Bottle condition: Repitch fresh yeast and bacteria to about 4-4.5vol of CO2. Its going to have to stay in the bottles for quite a while.

This is really the only way to do a Berliner Weiss and have it come out in the traditional manner. Ive had a bunch of sour mashed beers and they just don't taste right. They either have a ton of other flavors from the sour mash or they have to big of body, not dry enough and not sour enough. People then take to adding a bunch of lactic acid.

Mash hop. Do a multistep rest. 135F x 2 hours, 149 x 1 hour, bring it up to 170F x 10min and then don't boil <- This is what I did -landhoney. Add lacto and yeast at a 3:1 ratio to start. This will give you a good idea of what the beer will be like. You will be missing a lot of the 'wheaty' flavor but if you are going to try this style, you have to get the fermentation and lacto:yeast right. MUST bottle condition. If you do it this way, let it sit in the bottle and forget about it. Then do another one with your 'fast' method. Then compare the two.

All the above is someone else speaking/typing about what someone(mashweasel/kristen) else said

Long reply to your easy answer, should have just said: I did a multistep rest. 135F x 2 hours, 149 x 1 hour, bring it up to 170F x 10min and then don't boil

Landhoney, I have a problem with my no boil Berliner: DMS! It seemed inevitable, since I was using pils malt and the wort wasn't boiled (only the decoction). How did you overcome the flaw?

Landhoney, I have a problem with my no boil Berliner: DMS! It seemed inevitable, since I was using pils malt and the wort wasn't boiled (only the decoction). How did you overcome the flaw?

Humm interesting, I had not even thought of that.

With the 15 minute boil and a fast chill, I had a lot of DMS in mine too. After sitting at room temperature for over 2 months it has all but disappeared. Its boiling point is 37C (98.6F), so a lot should get driven off in warmer temperatures.

I finally used my pack of 3191 over the weekend. It was the extract recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles".

This is my first time using Brett/Lacto and the lag time before signs of fermentation was over three days. Is there normally a longer lag on the sour beers? The pack was from March 04 so the yeast could very well have been past prime.

I plan to follow the advice above and rack to secondary when primary is complete. And then see about bottling another month later if it's sour enough.
I've got my fingers crossed for this batch. I haven't had a good and sour Berliner outside of Berlin yet.

I used this blend a few weeks ago and also saw a very slow start. In fact, my airlock really never bubbled much but there was a bit of kreusen on top. I'm going to rack it tonight so we'll see if it did its job or not.

Yeah, so I really didn't see any fermentation activity at all in my airlock, but after 3 weeks, it's at 1.006. I'd say it worked.

not sour yet, but here's hoping that in a few months it will be.

A question about plastic and this yeast:

I have a blow off tube going into a 1 gallon drinking water jug but that spilled over into the big rubbermaid tote that i keep filled with water to control fermentation temp.

I am already planning on replacing the plastic hoses from racking but what about the tote and plastic jug? And the auto siphon?

Bumping this...

I tasted this again today. I had hoped to already have this on tap for consumption by now but other things have gotten in the way.

It has been about 7 months since I brewed this beer. It is sour. Not too sour. I wished it was a bit more sour. But, it has a great funky/sour aroma and flavor. I have some acid blend and I am itching to add a bit to see if a bit will bring the sourness up.

I am thinking of brewing this again and going for a method that will turn this beer out faster and with more sourness.

Anyone else?

Interested in a BW but haven't done anything about it. Subscribed for future updates. :)

My advice would be to give the lactobacillus a head start - like 48 hours or so and then pitch some German Ale. Will drive the tart up and the two organisms won't be competing.

Have just bought this from private collection release late last year and planning on a gose for summer having tried and loved the beer in Leipzig 2 years ago.

Any tips/recommendations on using this yeast blend and recipe formulation (a little acid malt?) welcome, have randy mosher's recipe and notes in radical brewing and star hieronymous's brewing with wheat too.

Planning to use an older fv and then make that my wild yeast fv for the future e.g. if used lacto as with this or brett in a Belgian - sound like a good idea?
r fv

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info on this beer and yeast.

I'll be attempting my first Berliner next week (1st sour actually, and I've got a few questions:

1. Whirfloc - Does this beer need it? My memory tells me this beer is cloudy and I'm wondering if I need to use Whirfloc.

2. Protein Rest - I used a cooler type mash tun. I can do a 2 step mash but that's about it. Does this style of beer need a Protein Rest with so much Wheat Malt?

Forgive my ignorance but I'm relatively new to all grain.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Back