Harvesting/Storing House Blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninator

Reaction score
Anybody harvesting and storing their own house mixed cultures? I've done this with single strains and with sacc blends, but I wonder if anyone here is putting away mixed cultures of sacc/brett/bacteria for future use.

I have a Berliner weisse fermenting right now, with house-grown lacto and US-05. The lacto was grown at just above room temperature, and it took my starter down to lip-puckering tartness so quickly, I think I'd like to save this for future batches.

Likewise, I'm working on a house saison blend of different organisms, and if all goes well, I'd like to keep some on hand for frequent use. Any tips?

I like using bombers with a drilled stop and airlock for my funky/sour cultures, also 1 gallon glass jugs are good. Every 3-4 months pour off and add a bit of fresh wort to feed the culture. Either that or use sanitized glass jars and refrigerate multiple samples.

That's basically the direction I've been going with it. For building up a culture, I'll use a bottle with an airlock. For cultures harvested from finished brews, it's a mason jar in the refrigerator. Just not sure if, with a mixed culture, I should be more careful about the temps at which I store it, given the different temperaments of the various organisms involved.

I've just been doing new generations on the mixed culture slurry. Will hopefully start generation 4 in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Back