Berliner Dunkelweisse II - Tire Biter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
I took a shot at brewing a dark Berliner Weisse a while ago but it didn't pan out. Five months after the fact it hasn't soured up and there's some kind of sulfury bacterial infection.

This new recipe, a week after the sour mash, tastes more like a little Oud Bruin.

3# White Wheat Malt - 48%
3# Aromatic Malt (Dingemans will self-convert - really it's just Munich 20L) - 48%
0.25# Midnight Wheat (Briess) - 4%
0.5oz Styrian Aurora - 11 IBU @ 60 min

ABV ~3%

Mash following the Wyeast sour beer schedule for BW on stovetop in 5G pot. This was sour mashed on the grain for 72 hours at 86F. I would have liked to go higher but BrewPi won't let me change the max temp in my ferm fridge.

I topped off the mash with 1L of apple juice and enough water to fill the pot up to the top with water. This eliminates the headspace which may contain oxygen. Pitched Wyeast PC Oud Bruin blend (Lacto + Sacc) at 120F and wrapped the pot in a garbage bag. This sat in the ferm fridge for 72hrs set to 86F (highest I can go right now).

After 72 hrs, the mash was direct fired to mash temps and run off. This was a bad sparge, next time I'll sour in the kettle without the grains. Boiled it for 1 hour with 0.5oz Styrian Aurora. Then chill and pitch a 2L starter of WLP300 Hefeweizen and let it do its thing at ~57F.

Right now I've sampled the beer after a week on the Hefe yeast. It tastes like a small oud bruin which is pretty cool. I'll add a bit of lactic acid to bring up the sourness.

The two things I would do otherwise is to pitch Brett instead of Sacc in the sour mash (I thought the Oud Bruin blend had Brett) and sour mash at a higher temp for 48 hours. 72 hours is a long time at proper sour mash temps but I felt it was necessary for the lower temperature.

---

This batch is called Tire Biter because on the same night as my 72 hour sour mash was up my GF had a flat tire which turned into a 5 hour ordeal followed by me wrestling with a cold wheat mash at 12am. Fun stuff...

Back