Wyeast 1968 substitute? (1318?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerFingers

Reaction score
So I am looking to develop a good house strain for a wide variety of beers. I would love to use 1968, but have heard it can have issues and isn't quite forgiving (temps, pitching rates, etc.). I want a similar yeast with similar flavor, attenuation, and floc to 1968. Would 1318 be a good choice as a substitute? Are there others that would work well?

I've used both and had good luck with both strains. Brew a batch and split it and pitch one with London Ale and one with ESB.

Both can make fantastic beers, IMHO. I particularly like 1968 for session beers (<1.050 or so OG) because you can start at 1.040-ish and still have a lot of body left in the beer after fermentation is complete. Recently made a 3.5% abv session AIPA with 1968 that went fast. Have also used it in a couple bitters, an oatmeal stout, a bunch of APAs...Others.

1318 attenuates better. It's a top-cropper, so the krausen tends to hang around forever. You can usually rack under the krausen or cold-crash to encourage it to drop. I find 1318 hides the hops a bit - especially in the aroma, so consider increasing dry hop amounts.

If you haven't tried it, you might also consider the Ringwood strain. Probably my favorite yeast so far. With this strain, a long primary and making an appropriate starter seems to give excellent results. Hops, malt, and pleasantly-fruity esters come through well.

Thanks Redshirt,
I know Ringwood is the yeast DFH uses or recommends in Calgione's book. Anyone else have inputs on those yeast strains?

Back