Wyeast 1762 Abbey II -- What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy all, I've got an extra smack pack of Abbey II on my hands and an empty fermenter -- What to do?

I've never used this yeast before and can't decide what to do with it -- maybe a Dubbel? perhaps a Belgian Strong?

Would love to hear folks' experience/thoughts/suggestions for recipes.

Cheers!

I think you're right on the money- a dubbel or BDSA. I did a belgian IPA with 1762 and didn't much care for the yeast character in that beer. I had bought it as a "just in case" for another batch I was making and wanted to use it up. I prefer saison yeast for those (though I like saison yeast for everything). I also did a "belgian stout" with the same yeast and it turned out awesome. Kind of a neat fusion.

I would do a Belgian Strong with it...I actually have some that i recaptured and am debating doing a Blonde with it...however I think it lends itself more to strong dark belgian ales.

Another vote for a strong.

Just take care with the ferment temps. 1762 can get some fusels if you get it too hot too fast.

Back