Wyeast 1762 conoisseurs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wandering_brewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a batch of 22 lt (6 gallons) in my brooms room. I'm totally new to Rochefort strain and I'm a bit confused about the molest behaviour of it. My recipe is:
5kg belgian pale
500g pils
500g carapils
500g flaked oats
(this to stay in the grain limit of braumeister 20l)
1kg dark candi sugar (60min boil)
500gr demerara sugar (60min boil)
3,5 gr irish moss (15min)
15min @55
80min @65
15min @72
10min @78
90min boil
20gr magnum (60min)
2 pack of 1762 (made a 5l starter at 1040 for 36hr then cold crashed, decanted and pitched its slurry at 19celsius)
OG 1092, pitched 03/06/22

It started soon after 4-5 hrs, but it was so violent that I had krausen not only in airlock, but also in the pot i used with a dip tube as airlock. As i noticed this and also a fast decrease of wort level, I transferred all to a sanitized (starsan) bigger carboy. With the same airlock system all went right but what I'm concerned about are the smells off the airlock, it seems I have a wine fermenting, I had for some hours (after 24hrs) a slight sulphur aroma that I've read is normal for this strain. I have a little experience in detect the smells (and translate in english) of wort. Anyone having this experience?

Hi everyone. I have a batch of 22 lt (6 gallons) in my brooms room. I'm totally new to Rochefort strain and I'm a bit confused about the molest behaviour of it. My recipe is:
5kg belgian pale
500g pils
500g carapils
500g flaked oats
(this to stay in the grain limit of braumeister 20l)
1kg dark candi sugar (60min boil)
500gr demerara sugar (60min boil)
3,5 gr irish moss (15min)
15min @55
80min @65
15min @72
10min @78
90min boil
20gr magnum (60min)
2 pack of 1762 (made a 5l starter at 1040 for 36hr then cold crashed, decanted and pitched its slurry at 19celsius)
OG 1092, pitched 03/06/22

It started soon after 4-5 hrs, but it was so violent that I had krausen not only in airlock, but also in the pot i used with a dip tube as airlock. As i noticed this and also a fast decrease of wort level, I transferred all to a sanitized (starsan) bigger carboy. With the same airlock system all went right but what I'm concerned about are the smells off the airlock, it seems I have a wine fermenting, I had for some hours (after 24hrs) a slight sulphur aroma that I've read is normal for this strain. I have a little experience in detect the smells (and translate in english) of wort. Anyone having this experience?
Ah for some hours I've noticed also a very slight aroma of banana or pears

No expert, but I use it my dark Belgian ale. Got great attenuation and no noticeable off-flavors (actually got a gold with the beer in competition). I also don't pay attention to smells coming out during fermentation, as they are rarely indicative of the final product, so can't speak to that. Just give it plenty of time before kegging or bottling.

No expert, but I use it my dark Belgian ale. Got great attenuation and no noticeable off-flavors (actually got a gold with the beer in competition). I also don't pay attention to smells coming out during fermentation, as they are rarely indicative of the final product, so can't speak to that. Just give it plenty of time before kegging or bottling.

Is really amazing, now he reduced significantly the activity and the smell turn to a sensitive alcolic "yeasty" aroma.
After years I still have the first time impatience.
I've read about biblical time in primary and someone swirl a bit to rouse before transfer wort to another fv to condition it and have a reading at hydrometer, are you used to this practice? Thx

Is really amazing, now he reduced significantly the activity and the smell turn to a sensitive alcolic "yeasty" aroma.
After years I still have the first time impatience.
I've read about biblical time in primary and someone swirl a bit to rouse before transfer wort to another fv to condition it and have a reading at hydrometer, are you used to this practice? Thx
Not familiar with that practice. In general, for all fermentations, you should leave them alone as much as possible. I let my normal ales sit for about 2 weeks before touching them, and higher gravity ales/lagers more like 4 weeks. More chance for something to go wrong, yeast to produce off flavors, etc.

Back