Novalager fermentation profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gajol

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with novalager and am in search of the profile for my lager brews. Here's what I've come up with so far:

• A pilsner with an OG of 1045 and an expected FG of 1014.
  • Pitching temperature set at 20°C and keeping it there until SG reaches 1020, without applying any pressure.
  • Spunding valve set to 15 psi.
  • Fermenting until FG reaches 1014, or close to it.
  • Setting the temperature to 23°C and maintaining it for 2 days for cleanup.
  • Cold crashing for 3 days.
I'd love to hear what you all are doing, and if anyone has any suggestions or tweaks to my profile, I'm all ears! Let's brew some great beer together.

Cheers!

1.046 to 1.012 pitched at 15 open and kept around this temp no pressure as open fermented. Then near end closed and spunded to 20psi. Main ferment bulk was done in 3 days. Left a week at about 15 then cold crashed, dropped yeast and lagered for 25 days. Fined during that time and further drop of yeast / finings.
It came out pretty good.
IMG_20240111_215543.jpg

It appears you're achieving a clear and nice result with your process. I've also noticed that our profiles are quite similar, except for the temperature

So fare i really like this yeast

First beer I made with it, I wasn't a fan. Next one was very good. I have another pack to use, but I've been having such good luck with 34/70 that I haven't tried Nova again...

First beer I made with it, I wasn't a fan. Next one was very good. I have another pack to use, but I've been having such good luck with 34/70 that I haven't tried Nova again...

A question, Sir? You said "next one was very good" -was that a repitch on the leftover yeast cake OR another new package?

Isn't this the Swiss Hürlimann strain 189 popularized by the Danish?
No. It is a hybrid of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Saccharomyces eubayanus developed by Fermentis. Saccharomyces pastorianus (standard lager yeast) is also a hybrid of these two, but Novalager contains a greater percentage of cerevisiae.

Back