Wyeast 1217-PC West Coast IPA others styles besides IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I'm going to be digging into this Wyeast Private Collection strain soon (Wyeast 1217-PC West Coast IPA) for a bunch of batches and was wondering if you've made anything outside of pale ales and west coast IPA's with it? I'm going to be tackling some west coast hoppy beers but what about stouts, porters, etc?

It's Stone's yeast, whatever ale they make you could too.

Supposedly it accentuates bitterness a bit so you might need to lower IBUs slightly??

Stone ferments it at 72. Equates to probably 69/70 on the home-brew scale

Sure thanks, I was just wondering if anyone has brewed other styles and what was their experience. I've used pacman in some stouts and porters with great success but this yeast is completely new to me.

It may well be very similar to Imperial A30 Corporate, and it got mentioned a bit in passing here.

May well be part of the Chico family, so use like 1056/WLP001/US-05 etc.

I'm not entirely convinced that it is the Stone strain - I've done side-by-side tests yeast harvested from a Stone beer and to me they gave different beers.

That said, I like 1217 and I would use it like any other dry ale yeast. I just made a fantastic CDA with it and brewed some light Cream Ales with it a while ago. Reliable yeast, great flocculation with a good flavor profile.

I picked up a packet last year and have stretched it since. I brew primarily hoppy pales and ipa. One batch was a big imperial stout and turned out very nice. I will have to head over to ritebrew and preorder a fresh packet. Thanks for the heads up @Northern_Brewer

Another heads-up, they've again released it as a Q2 seasonal release in 2021, along with 5223-PC Lactobacillus brevis and 2575-PC Kölsch II :
https://wyeastlab.com/private-collection
As it happens, I've got some from last year in a 1.054 SNPA-ish with UK homegrown Cascade at the moment. I ended up with two packs by accident and I needed to replenish the beer stocks, so this is a "just make some beer" batch rather than my usual side-by-side yeast experiments.

Checked it today and it was at 70% attenuation after 4 days (at 20C/68F air temp). Very little barm even at its peak, and had completely dropped from the surface today. So far, so good.

I did like 1217 but around that time I actually switched to 2575 as my go to. I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus and looking like it will be late June before I’m brewing again. But I am planning on ordering a fresh packet of each before the end of the quarter.
@Northern_Brewer looking forward to more updates on your current batch.

Back