Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on Fru fru, quaffable, yummy and baby bump

I also hate:

You're not connected to the internet
Life long learner
Yada yada
BFF
Kudos, oh how I hate Kudos

OOOOh, here is one I hate!

You are at a restaurant and just get your food. The waiter/waitress comes back in 30 seconds and asks how well your food tastes.

That really drives me up a wall. Especially when you have an empty drink and probably had issues with the meal 3 minutes later! Although, since I have ties to a restaurant, I don't send much back elsewhere, but I may have an issue where the meat was done too much or something along those lines. I never send food back to a kitchen though. Best to hit a drive through on the way home if its that bad.

OOOOh, here is one I hate!

You are at a restaurant and just get your food. The waiter/waitress comes back in 30 seconds and asks how well your food tastes.

That really drives me up a wall. Especially when you have an empty drink and probably had issues with the meal 3 minutes later! Although, since I have ties to a restaurant, I don't send much back elsewhere, but I may have an issue where the meat was done too much or something along those lines. I never send food back to a kitchen though. Best to hit a drive through on the way home if its that bad.

And when did "How is everything?" become "How does everything taste". It seems to have changed over the last 5-10 years

I don't know why, but "How does everything taste?" just sits wrong with me. "How is everything" seems to be more encompassing.

I don't know. It's probably just me:drunk:

Physical instead of Fiscal.

I was in a briefing once and a Junior Officer kept talking about physical years. He did it over and over. I guess I snapped, because finally after he said physical for about the 20th time. I blurted out, "It's fiscal! Fiscal year! Not physical year! Fiscal!

Got a pretty good laugh. (E9s can get away with that **** ;))

I really hate it when people use the word AKS rather that ASK!

LEMME AKS YOU DIS...

OK, there is enough material on this post to choose from. Why doesnt someone with extra time on their hands put together a short story using as many of these hated words and phrases as possible.

+1 on Fru fru, quaffable, yummy and baby bump

I also hate:

You're not connected to the internet
Life long learner
Yada yada
BFF
Kudos, oh how I hate Kudos

I dispise quaffable! We have a local brewery that I follow on facebook that manages to fit it into every feckin' sentence! Then they change other words to resemble it, their special on 12-21 was called apquaffolypse! They call their customers quaffers and and everything they to is quaffable...shoot me now!

CGVT said:
And when did "How is everything?" become "How does everything taste". It seems to have changed over the last 5-10 years

I don't know why, but "How does everything taste?" just sits wrong with me. "How is everything" seems to be more encompassing.

Yeah it sits wrong with me as well. It's almost a little too personal, or something. It kind of crosses a line from trying to be helpful to being intrusive. Also, many people will not complain about a meal if they don't care for it. Asking someone how it tastes if they happen to not care for it puts them in a position where they either have to lie, or criticize the food.

Use of the word - minute - when the time span has been days, weeks, months, or years.

Used in a sentence:

"It was an okay place. I worked there for a minute."
"Yeah, I lived there for a minute."
"Yeah we were together, haven't seen her for a minute."
"Its been a minute since I've been there."

exactly-how does it taste? how about how is everything-much more can go wrong than the food being bad.

Thats funny this got brought up, I was just telling my wife that......and I cant help it....i tend to tip less when asked how everything tastes-I can see asking that in a nice place but at steak n shake .......Im there cause its okay....not because its great.......how does it taste?....it tastes like a hamburger and french fries!!!!!!

exactly-how does it taste? how about how is everything-much more can go wrong than the food being bad.

Thats funny this got brought up, I was just telling my wife that......and I cant help it....i tend to tip less when asked how everything tastes-I can see asking that in a nice place but at steak n shake .......Im there cause its okay....not because its great.......how does it taste?....it tastes like a hamburger and french fries!!!!!!

You guys may enjoy Louis CK's "The Way We Talk" bit.

[ame]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjQwMjc0NzY4.html[/ame] (NSFW) Skip to 42:30.

Sums up my sentiment exactly.

Use of the word - minute - when the time span has been days, weeks, months, or years.

On a related note, it drives me nuts when people shorten or abbreviate words that are already short. How did we transition from 'Okay' to 'OK' to just plain, lazy 'k'. Even in spoken word, it's becoming "kay".

Pop music drives some of them (e.x., "Cray"). But the ones that really get me are the ones that catch on exactly because they're so lame (e.x., "seximous") or onomatopoeic (e.x., "vajiggle jaggle"). Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, I'm looking at you.

Also, the use of the word "get" to replace just about any other word.

SWMBO asked me to unthaw something for dinner once, so I left it in the freezer.... We ordered a pizza that night.

Dude...that's my wife! I feck with her every time she says it! She says, will you unthaw the hamburger...then 10 minutes later she asks again and I say, "I AM!"

"Everything happens for a reason"

I can't stand it. When people say that to me, I say, no, sometimes **** just happens...and there's no deeper meaning to it.

Yes! Especially in response to tragedy.

Broke your leg? Everything happens for a reason.
Crashed your car? Everything happens for a reason.
Lost a loved one? Everything happens for a reason.

To me, it's the same as saying you're destined to have it happen to you... that you deserve it.

thadius856 said:
Yes! Especially in response to tragedy.

Broke your leg? Everything happens for a reason.
Crashed your car? Everything happens for a reason.
Lost a loved one? Everything happens for a reason.

To me, it's the same as saying you're destined to have it happen to you... that you deserve it.

You know I hate everything people say at funerals. It's mostly bs.

I have a lot of peeves myself, but instead of getting into those I'm going to comment on a bunch of things other people have said already. I'm generally ok with abbreviations (leet-speek or txt-speak), with the absolute rule that they are NEVER to be used except in online, screen-based communication. Speaking "lol" or "omg" aloud should be grounds for summary execution.

"Gift" as a verb. Nope.

This one bugs me, but it is in fact valid usage and has been for centuries. Use as a verb has exploded in popularity, and while there are contexts in which its specific implications make it a useful word, it's clearly just a trend. People see it in a magazine article or blog and think (perhaps subconsciously) that using it themselves will make them sound more sophisticated.

Or, much more rarely, the opposite problem. As a computer nerd, it grates on me when people are dictating a web address to someone else, and they start out with "double-you double-you double-you dot ..." [...] "Yeah... I got that part, thanks for wasting 3 seconds of my life. Can we pick it up at the relevant part of the URL please?"

To be fair, though, there are still some sites out there where "example.com" and "www.example.com" are different. "Dub-dub-dub" seems to be the best compromise to me.

And, just to show I'm wrong, I loved Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I just know Howard the Duck is going to be great. :ban:

I don't get it. I loved that movie. :tank:

I hate being P.C.
One time my old boss was telling a story about a white guy and an African-American gentleman. What the f... Why use those words? I don't demand people refer to me as a European-American

African-American is a well-intentioned but embarrassingly ignorant term. There were two African-Americans and zero black-skinned people in my research group in grad school. "African-American" is not an ethnicity, and it doesn't describe a black-skinned person who was born in the US (or France, or the UK, or China, or...)

[...]

Oh, it's not you. I could cry knowing that I'm not the only one driven up the wall by this. It's creepy as hell. Like the "gift" verb, I have no idea how these things spread, but it seems to be everywhere now.

On a related note, it drives me nuts when people shorten or abbreviate words that are already short. How did we transition from 'Okay' to 'OK' to just plain, lazy 'k'. Even in spoken word, it's becoming "kay".

The etymology of "OK" (or "okay") is unclear, but according to the most common currently cited theory, "OK" is probably the original term and "okay" is the bastardization. (wikipedia has a decent summary of most of the proposed etymologies that I'm familiar with)

If it makes you feel any better, "k" is evolving into "kk" in some circles, so at least the laziness is fading. :D

Lushife said:
You know I hate everything people say at funerals. It's mostly bs.

It's because in times of tragedy sometimes it makes people feel better to hear someone recite some meaningless platitude. Some people are comforted by this.

bottlebomber said:
It's because in times of tragedy sometimes it makes people feel better to hear someone recite some meaningless platitude. Some people are comforted by this.

I still hated it at my brother's funeral

"I'm going to reach out to...".

Like that fools anyone you're not really asking for help or a big favor unless, I suppose, you actually plan on groping someone.

When sports talk radio types say "efforting" when they are trying to find a guest or information or a stat, etc

When sports talk radio types say "efforting" when they are trying to find a guest or information or a stat, etc

I loathe pretty much any noun changed to a verb. Do you say 'I am dinnering' when there is a perfectly valid verb form?
Would explain in depth, but I am training it to my workering place. ;)

The superfluous double "is"...

"The problem is, is that I don't have any money"
No. Should be
"The problem is that I don't have any money."

This seems to happen repeatedly with "the problem is...", "the point is...", "the thing is...", to the point where I'm now even hearing it on TV from news anchors, politicians, and well educated people.

The point is, IT'S COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY.

Myself instead of me a in "If you need help, see Bob or myself.

The people that say this are usually the same people that say "at this point in time" and "on a daily basis"

I adore puns. From time to time I like to tell jokes so bad that the listener groans or is actually angered.

I had lamb at a local Indian place recently, and when the waiter brought it out I said "gee, thanks for mutton." I had to explain why that was funny. My wife just shook her head.

Must be an East Coast thing. My friend's family from Boston area lives for that stuff. I try to keep up, but I'm lucky to go 3 rounds. Heaven forbid their dad is around. Yikes!

I adore puns. From time to time I like to tell jokes so bad that the listener groans or is actually angered.

I had lamb at a local Indian place recently, and when the waiter brought it out I said "gee, thanks for mutton." I had to explain why that was funny. My wife just shook her head.

You would have scored double pun points if you'd said "Ghee, thanks for mutton." :D

CreamyGoodness said:

From what I've seen so far, I can imagine you ordering the lamb JUST so you could pull off that ridiculous punnage, even if you felt like the fish.

"Cray" instead of "crazy" - "ohmigod that's so cray!"

"Jelly" instead of "jealous" - "So jelly of your new shoes"

Can I get an Amen?

Speaking of to die for I hate anything that jokes about death in the tittle. Like death by chocolate why would I want to eat that did you poison it?

Back