Advice on how to enjoy homebrewing over the years without becoming an alcoholic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<'))))><

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been home brewing a few years and really enjoy it. On the subject title I am not looking for medical advice necessarily, I don't have alcohol used disorder or a physical addiction to alcohol. But i recently watched my Dad, a closeted alcoholic for a long time, spill out of the closet. I never want to go through what he did. I wanted to hear from some of you who have been brewing for many years and still have a healthy relationship with alcohol. What rules do you follow to keep beer around as a hobby long term without easing gradually into more dependence?

I would also love hear some of your favorite low or ultra low abv beer recipes. My favorite commercial beer is Guinness Draught, and I'm interested in adding botanicals/foraged plants to beer.

Thanks!

I guess it depends on your level of self-control.

What works for me: I set some "guidelines" for my drinking. At home, two per day, maybe 3 if I have company. If I'm out, just one if I'm going to drive, otherwise I get a sober ride.

If you think you cannot control your alcohol intake, please step back from it. Much as we all enjoy making and talking about alcoholic beverages, it's not worth falling into substance abuse.

You are being wise to recognize the potential dangers.

Edit: there are many recipes for low ABV beers in the recipe section. Have a look around there. You can make good beer around or under 4%.

I keep count of my beers and try not to exceed 10 pints per week. this works out to one or two per night, but I usually have two per night, so I take a couple of days off from beer every week. It works for me. I don't ever feel deprived, and it seems like a fairly benign amount. I call myself a moderate drinker.

Do not drink every day. If you are setting yourself a limit like "only 2 a day" or something like this, it is already borderline.

I do drink VERY rarely during the week and at the weekend I am having 2 or three, MAYBE four, and sometimes none. I have the goal to get really shredded so any additonal caloric intake is a hindrance for me atm. But even if I would not have this goal, a good idea would be to limit drinking to the weekends and then only a few.

Otherwise the mindset starts to rely on alcohol for stupid reasons that lead to addiction. For relaxation, have a beer. For calming down, have a beer. For having fun, have a beer. For enjoying a movie, have a beer. For closing the day, have a beer.... Everything positive, have a beer.

As soon as you recognise this type of behaviour, limit your intake drastically, because you are starting to see alcohol as a definite part of enjoyment. This can lead you down a very strange road.

I for myself am going to watch a movie now and... have a beer :D

cheers!

I try to stick to the CDC guidelines of 1-2 drinks per day. I occasionally make exceptions for special occasions (e.g. birthday, family in town, etc.).

If you have a spouse or housemate, or even a good friend that you keep in touch with regularly, ask them to keep you accountable. Express your goal and have them check in every month or so. I know my wife will tell me when it becomes a problem, so I'm a little less concerned than I would be if I lived alone.

If you have beer on draft, use a smaller glass. I often use an 11oz glass, which holds 9oz of beer plus head.

As others have said, focus on lower ABV styles. Berliner weisse, gose, saison, English mild, etc.

I guess it depends on your level of self-control.

What works for me: I set some "guidelines" for my drinking. At home, two per day, maybe 3 if I have company. If I'm out, just one if I'm going to drive, otherwise I get a sober ride.

If you think you cannot control your alcohol intake, please step back from it. Much as we all enjoy making and talking about alcoholic beverages, it's not worth falling into substance abuse.

You are being wise to recognize the potential dangers.

Edit: there are many recipes for low ABV beers in the recipe section. Have a look around there. You can make good beer around or under 4%.
This is all great advice. Though I think that classifying it under "level of self control" might be a little harsh to those with an addiction. Maybe sharing your concerns with family and friends that can be honest with you(in person). Taking seriously when someone brings a concern to you.

Yes, setting limits is good, especially around driving. It is however, sometimes hard to keep track once you've had a few, and sometimes outside influences are better able to let you know when you may be crossing a line.

Low abv may be great for you, but please be careful with someone with an addiction, low or even no abv may be enough to put them back on the path. Addiction is not always solely about the alcohol content.

Many home brewers want to make high ABV beers and the on the commercial side 9% IPAs are quite common. If you brew your own, you can fight these trends and focus on making way better 2-4% ABV beers than you can get at the store. So you can enjoy a pint or two after work and not really worry about it.

I usually don't drink during the week, so Friday-Sunday I may have 1-4 beers or so....with that, it varies. I may have 1-2 8% DIPA's or 4 lighter beers.....also depends on the season however I am keeping up with my water and IV Hydrate seems to help replenish immensly.

I just don't brew as often as I used to. I have all of these empty kegs in my basement and I would love to fill them all, but not anymore. I am close to 70 now, and just can't drink as much as I used to. Since I live in Canada, buying beer is expensive and I try not to do that a lot.

Many home brewers want to make high ABV beers and the on the commercial side 9% IPAs are quite common. If you brew your own, you can fight these trends and focus on making way better 2-4% ABV beers than you can get at the store. So you can enjoy a pint or two after work and not really worry about it.
Or get some smaller glasses and limit yourself to one pour of the 9%. I don't have to have more than one to enjoy my beer and all else being equal I'd rather brew what I like.

Hi All,

I've been home brewing a few years and really enjoy it. On the subject title I am not looking for medical advice necessarily, I don't have alcohol used disorder or a physical addiction to alcohol. But i recently watched my Dad, a closeted alcoholic for a long time, spill out of the closet. I never want to go through what he did. I wanted to hear from some of you who have been brewing for many years and still have a healthy relationship with alcohol. What rules do you follow to keep beer around as a hobby long term without easing gradually into more dependence?

I would also love hear some of your favorite low or ultra low abv beer recipes. My favorite commercial beer is Guinness Draught, and I'm interested in adding botanicals/foraged plants to beer.

Thanks!
Welcome to the group!

You ask some good questions regarding a hobby where we produce a product that could potentially lead to all sorts of problems. I have pondered that many times in my life.

I started brewing beer around 1985 so I have lots of alcohol related stories, some really good ones and some I'd rather not share.

I have seen lots of folks get into this hobby for the wrong reasons and all I can say is needlepoint could be a great hobby.

To your concerns, I agree, brewing low alcohol beer is an option. I don't do that. My brews start at 5.5 and go up, depending on the style and recipe. I try to limit my high ABV beers to a pint or two. I stay home and do my drinking, sometimes to excess but I'm home.

If I'm out I watch what I drink and only have 2-3 beers with plenty of water. There's a fine line between having fun and being over the limit. You need to diligent at what you're consuming, how far from home you are and if you should get in the driver's seat. Get a ride home, there's no shame in that!

For relaxation, have a beer. For calming down, have a beer. For having fun, have a beer. For enjoying a movie, have a beer. For closing the day, have a beer.... Everything positive, have a beer.
This is what we do in Wisconsin, so if I were you I'd move to Wisconsin and not worry about.

I have a similar concern that I keep in the back of my mind-all of my 5 uncles were/are alcoholics, over half of my male cousins are or have struggled with addiction.
So, I do a few things:
1. I limit myself both on intake amount and frequency.
2. My wife is well aware of the family issue and I trust her to put her foot down if I start going off the rails.
3. I only make small batches. This is both due to my love of experimentation and so it's easier to get through. I'm actually at a point now where I shouldn't make anything for a little while to get through what I have.

I have a similar concern that I keep in the back of my mind-all of my 5 uncles were/are alcoholics, over half of my male cousins are or have struggled with addiction.
So, I do a few things:
1. I limit myself both on intake amount and frequency.
2. My wife is well aware of the family issue and I trust her to put her foot down if I start going off the rails.
3. I only make small batches. This is both due to my love of experimentation and so it's easier to get through. I'm actually at a point now where I shouldn't make anything for a little while to get through what I have.
I think i am going to get myself a smaller fermenter for the same reason. It's almost like I enjoy making the beer a bit more than drinking it. That leads me often to a big stock that I have trouble finishing.

I stopped drinking during the week and switched one of my keezer taps to soda water. During the week, I drink pitchers of soda water with Bubly flavor drops instead of beer. The soda water seems to quench my need to drink something carbonated. Once you get in the habit of skipping beer during the week, it is pretty easy to stick to it.

IMO, drinking low alcohol beer will only encourage one to drink more quantity.

And isn't denying that you have a problem one of the first signs you might have a problem?
Yes, I've been trying hard to come up with the right words and how to say it. You said it.

If anyone is concerned at all, this is not the hobby to be in. An addiction is an indication and the source should be avoided.

It doesn't seem to me that anyone is denying anything here. We are instead acknowledging that we could potentially become alcoholics, if we did not work towards moderating our intake.
I agree. While I have not had any family member, that I know of, have any issues with addiction (thank god) I had a good friend go thru AA and battled it for a long time. I used to party and drink with the guy thru high school and college. My modus operandi is simple. No alcohol on work days and I limit myself to three on my days off. Usually my first night on duty I don't drink during that day. So, three beers on two or three days. Can I eventually have a problem? Sure, I like my beer a lot, but I do try and keep a handle on it. Now, my wife may disagree. Great topic though, kinda puts into reality the idea that it would be really easy to go overboard having home made beer at the ready.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Some good and honest advice. I don't have a problem sticking to one or two, but i do find myself drinking beer most days in a week which didn't feel right. I think keeping it to the weekend is a good way to go, which i hear from several people. I did a dry January this year, and plan to keep doing that.

concerned at all
Alcoholism can devastate a family. Happily, not mine. Not to pick at word choice, but in the interest of clarity: any intake of ethanol should raise basic concern, 'cuz it's a strong toxin. Addiction is also a concern, and the OP's question.

Moderate use is socially normal, especially on HBT. Regular users should be mindful in their (our!) drinking, because there are important concerns.

Perhaps easy for me to say - at 67, my body can no longer tolerate even the occasional excesses of my younger self.

I drink a lot, I have for a long time and quite frankly I doubt that will ever change. I don’t want it to.

But… I brew moderate to low alcohol beers. I only drink in the evening/afternoon regardless of my schedule. I have zero issues not drinking should my daily activities preclude doing so. I don’t order beer out and only drink with meals if the place is known for good cocktails… in other words, I don’t NEED to drink. No hangovers, rarely even buzzed.

Point is, I know I’m the extreme other end, but admittedly heavy drinking doesn’t necessarily mean alcoholic.

You have to know yourself. My closest friend and a cousin are both legit alcoholics. If they ever have another single drink, their lives will go to ****, and have been at times in the past. I’ve seen up close and personal what it can do to people. I feel I have enough experience and know myself well enough by this point to be able to say those concerns don’t apply to me.

Excellent discussion. IMO its not solely on how much one consumes but rather relationship or mentality around drinking.
Do not drink every day. If you are setting yourself a limit like "only 2 a day" or something like this, it is already borderline.
Definitely second this. drinking every day even one may easily turn a strong habit(addiction) sooner or later.
Limiting to weekends can be great usual strategy. But even then it would be good idea occasionaly to go full week (workdays+weekend) without drinking (including NON alcoholic "alcohol").

Weekdays we are anyway busy with long work and other duties that those few evening hours without drink pass quickly. But in the weekend WITHOUT drinking you really can asses yourself- Do you find youself thinking alot about beer, maybe you even have to fight the urge to crab the drink? OR Can you still have fun, relax? Even "not noticing" that you didn't drink? (first case you already have problem or are at borderline)
IMO, drinking low alcohol beer will only encourage one to drink more quantity.

And isn't denying that you have a problem one of the first signs you might have a problem?
And yes. I would say those restrictions apply to low or non alcoholic beer almost the same way. Since the habit or addiction can be mental or emotional relation to drinking (im sorry if thats not correct way to put it in english). Yes one wont get drunk and therfor avoid physical sideffects but he might be just fooling himself in case he has to drink non alcoholic beer to satisfy his cravings. Then its clear one has addiction

This is what we do in Wisconsin, so if I were you I'd move to Wisconsin and not worry about.
That’s part of the problem. I am from Wisconsin. Seems like everyone here either drinks trunkloads of Miller or whiskey (not what I am going for), or doesn’t drink (a good way to avoid alcoholism, but not compatible with a homebrewing hobby). That’s in part why i posted here, even though I do talk about it with people in my life. I thought HBT might have a perspective worth hearing.

Excellent discussion. IMO its not solely on how much one consumes but rather relationship or mentality around drinking.

Definitely second this. drinking every day even one may easily turn a strong habit(addiction) sooner or later.
Limiting to weekends can be great usual strategy. But even then it would be good idea occasionaly to go full week (workdays+weekend) without drinking (including NON alcoholic "alcohol").

Weekdays we are anyway busy with long work and other duties that those few evening hours without drink pass quickly. But in the weekend WITHOUT drinking you really can asses yourself- Do you find youself thinking alot about beer, maybe you even have to fight the urge to crab the drink? OR Can you still have fun, relax? Even "not noticing" that you didn't drink? (first case you already have problem or are at borderline)

And yes. I would say those restrictions apply to low or non alcoholic beer almost the same way. Since the habit or addiction can be mental or emotional relation to drinking (im sorry if thats not correct way to put it in english). Yes one wont get drunk and therfor avoid physical sideffects but he might be just fooling himself in case he has to drink non alcoholic beer to satisfy his cravings. Then its clear one has addiction
Good points. I agree with that, especially what you said about addiction mentality is important to recognise I think.

It feels completely natural for me to drink during the weekend evenings and it feels unnatural not to drink at that time. That is already a problematic tendency. It would be good to turn this around.

It would also leave you with more energy during the day on the weekend. I have the tendency to stay up longer when drinking, alcohol numbs the tiredness a bit. The result is sleeping in next day plus having less than optimal recovery during the night.

Is that really worth it is the question I guess. I think it doesn't have to be like that, but it's crucial to be honest to oneself to turn it around in a way that being sober is the state that feels normal during the weekend evening. And that having a beer or two is entirely optional and not the automatical thing to do just because one can.

That can be actually quite a big thing to accomplish!

IMO just because someone says they drink 1-2 or even 3 a day doesn’t automatically mean they’re a borderline alcoholic at all. There are a lot more factors with alcoholism than quantity of alcohol consumed. Someone struggling with problems with health or financial which is leading to a depressed state in which they have a few drinks after a hard days work to cope is different from someone enjoying a few home brews while they have dinner or watch the sunset. They both stay under CDC threshold but they both are having drinks for very different reasons…

us_drinks_data-514116603.jpg

The toughest part of this sort of conversation is recognizing that the vast majority of us (active homebrewers) are in the top third of population for alcohol use, and it's nearly zero by comparison for the remaining two thirds.

So every conversation lumps an otherwise responsible 6-pack a day person with the twice divorced fella with a couple DUIs under their belt. Medically speaking, it's all the same.

Back