WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix (80-85 degrees)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBbrewer

Reaction score
White labs suggest fermenting this yeast at 80 to 85 degrees. Has anyone ever done this? If you have, did it seriously blow out of the blow off tube?

It is common to ferment Belgian strains at high temps. Follow the manufacturers instructions, they are the experts.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I keep mine at 65 to 70 F. I can't imaging anyone keeping it at 80+ degrees for extended time.

I appreciate all the advice, but I am surprised that no one has ever followed White Labs suggestion of fermentation temp 80 to 85 degrees. If someone has please respond? I would like to know what the outcome was, and if it caused a mess with the blow off? I plan to brew this tomorrow, so I will have to make a decision soon. I have a FermWrap and a temperature controller, so I should be able to keep in at around 80.

I didn't get a chance to brew yesterday, so I have more time to see if anyone has fermented at the recommended temp. Don't get me wrong I appreciate and respect all the responses I have received, but I just want to hear a response from someone who has fermented at the higher temperatures. I spoke with White Labs and they told me to ferment between 70 and 85, so I plan to ferment at 80. I will post up my experience when i get a chance to brew. If anyone has any advice please share.

I'd be interested to hear, as well. I have this blend ready to pitch into a lambic that I plan on brewing in the next couple weeks. My plan was to do the initial fermentation in a bucket in my fermentation chamber at around 68 (or maybe 70, if that's what WL lists as the low end of the range), so I don't get any fusels or other off flavors from the sacc yeast in the blend at a higher temp during the first few days/weeks... but then to rack it into a BB carboy and move it into a closet for a year or so (my room temps run from 75 in winter to around 78 in summer). Still trying to research the best temps and vessels and rack vs. not rack strategy...

I fermented it at 80 degrees F and it was really active for about a week, but it didn't blow off any more than others have. It calmed down after the first week and continued to bubble for another week. I transfered it to a secondary on top of the raisons and oak chips, and then I pitched some more bacteria. I tasted it during the transfer, and it was good. Now I just have to wait a long time to see what happens.

Not sure what the fear about fermenting so warm up is. Saison yeasts love it warm, and with 3724, you almost have to heat it up to 85+ to get it to finish.

My house sour mix I'll ferment warm (80+) when I want something really sour. Lately I've been tempering it by allowing more aeration and fermenting at room temperature.

*BUMP*

Brewed 5gal of a "Belgian Blond" type recipe with very low hops, on 2/20/19. No airlock activity but around 68F. Placed an electric blanket around the fermenter. Temp says 85F and now bubbling away. Also added 3.5lbs of fresh/squeezed blueberries directly into the fermenter. See what happens in 6 months. I was hoping for a July fruit sour, but everything I've read said September at the earliest.

Also, I don't read anything about secondary just after fermentation. Because It's a mix, I assume the White Labs intended this to be in primary for a long time. Maybe at the very end, kill the bugs then secondary on additional blueberries...??

Last edited:
Not sure what the fear about fermenting so warm up is. Saison yeasts love it warm, and with 3724, you almost have to heat it up to 85+ to get it to finish.

My house sour mix I'll ferment warm (80+) when I want something really sour. Lately I've been tempering it by allowing more aeration and fermenting at room temperature.
Agreed. I run 3724 at or above 90°F. Turns out great!

Back