WLP530 Abbey Yeast + Belgian Quad Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
I am fermenting a Belgian quad which should end up at 11 .6. Due to in efficiencies in my route process is probably going to end up more like a 9%. I used three vials of wlp530 yeast in the starter and fermentation went bonkers. It's been 6 days and fermentation is still active. I've been holding the temperature steady at 66 degrees.

The recipe calls for an increase in the fermentation temperature up to 75 how does that look? Should I increase it once active fermentation stops by a degree per day? Should I start increasing it now by a degree per day?

I plan to Rack this beer into the secondary and add coconut, does that affect my temperature plan at all?

530 will get some hard phenols once you hit the 70's. Depending on how much (or any) of those flavors you want I suggest gauging your temp ramp off of that. Personally I would wait until the krausen drops or you are within 2-3 points of your anticipated final gravity and then start ramping 1-2°F per day. If you want a little bite to it then start a little earlier.

530 will get some hard phenols once you hit the 70's. Depending on how much (or any) of those flavors you want I suggest gauging your temp ramp off of that. Personally I would wait until the krausen drops or you are within 2-3 points of your anticipated final gravity and then start ramping 1-2°F per day. If you want a little bite to it then start a little earlier.
My recipie was off so not positive of FG but I have what beer Smith says it will be. I don't want a bite, I want it smooth and boozy. Planning to add coconut.

Since you've already hit FG go ahead and ramp up to assist the yeast in clean up. I haven't made a quad yet, but I need to.

I've done a number (5, I think) of brews with 530 and I've found it's really temperature sensitive above the mid-high 60's. 66° or 67° have been good temps for me and I love it for high gravity beers because it just keeps eating the sugar.

Good luck with your quad.

I would have gradullay increased the temperature over a few days from the start of fermentation. Belgian yeast works better and yields better belgian style flavours at high temps. If you do not like belgian yeast traits, you can ferment cold, but you could end up not liking the yeast on account of the ferm. temp.

I would say that 6 days is not enough time for a Quad fermentation, but if you reached out the intended FG, I would increase the temperature in order to let the yeasts to clean up. Remember that a Belgian quad would be very good if a little bit dry and with enough esteres remiting to plums, dried fruits...

It's been over a week now. I would have increased the temperature at day 6 or 7. Do it NOW. This recommendation is based on lots of experience with this yeast. The krausen will take forever to fall if you don't raise temperature up.

You can add your coconut now, or later.

I increase the temperature to 68 on day 6 and 70 on day 7. So for two days now it's been at 70. I am actually going to split the batch and rack into two different secondary vessels in order to try different styles of coconut.... Based on that info should I still add coconut now or wait for the yeast to settle down?

I don't think I am near FG, these things are still bubbling away. Had the lid blown off my BigMouth several times. Also, since my target FG is not attainable, it's not really possible for me to guess at "near final gravity". I guess I could go off of the Beer Smith estimate but not sure I trust that.

Back