WLP 550 Pepper & Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxp

Reaction score
I hate to start another 550 thread but I can't seem to find anything remotely close to consensus on the best fermentation temperatures for 550 to produce moderate peppery spiciness and (non-banana) fruit. I've managed to pin down suggested temperatures ranging somewhere between 64 and 78 (!) held steady, started steady followed by a rise, allowed to rise throughout, and even one started high then lowered... :confused:

I'll be brewing a Belgian Pale Ale this weekend and would like a balance of the two components. Has anyone had experience creating a satisfactory combination of the two with 550? At what temperature did you pitch? Did you let it rise?

It's been a while and I'm not a guy that takes notes, but I think I usually fermented that yeast at 65 and got a pretty pronounced pepper note. I was happy with the outcome.

Thanks for the response! My only previous attempt was at 65 with a free rise to 72 and that ended up fairly fruity. It was generally delicious, but I didn't get any noticeable pepper; maybe I'll try it cool and see what happens.

Are there any other suggestions out there before I commit?

Back