Review of Mangrove Jack's M47 Abbey Ale Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skortjorkson

I Eat Magic Plants
Reaction score
Hello all!

Given the lack of resources out there about this yeast, I thought I'd write a review of it.

First, there are a couple of things about the brewing context that need to be kept in mind-- I go for a rustic approach to my brewing, as I live far away from a homebrew store and abhor gadgetry, so I usually end up brewing around what I have or what I can make. I'll give you some rough outlines of the recipes I used in each case (I do use beersmith and can PM you details if you want) but the two important factors are that I don't have a temperature-controlled fermentation system, and that I make all of my own malt. Realize that between those two parameters there's a lot of wiggle room for interpretation of what made a beer come out the way it did!

Over the last few months, I made four different beers using M47. For the sake of simplicity, I'll list the general traits I observed before going into detail:

Fruity/flowery and spicy-- deep, ripe fruit esters tying together a front-palate complex spicy note.

High temperatures (75-90F): Spicy flavor with stone fruit and some banana esters, not what I would call phenolic but more literally like I had added some mixed spices (cinnamon) to the boil. The banana was present but not overwhelming.

Lower temperatures: (60-75F): Fruity and floral, but definitely less spicy and with no banana. Capable of blending in with a complex hop/malt palate.

Attenuation: I'm in between hydrometers right now but consistently left (even with adjuncts) some body behind after fermentation-- probably 1.010-1.015 but not higher.

Flocculation: Low. Mangrove Jack's lists it as 'high' but I found this yeast to have similar powdery traits to some other abbey yeasts. It took an absolute minimum of three weeks from the start of fermentation for the beers I made to clear up much, compared to ten days in the same conditions for the old Nottingham Ale to leave something crystal clear. Agitating the fermentor stirred up a cloud every time, and sometimes transferring to secondary after the krausen finished wasn't even enough to convince the yeast to settle-- once I had to transfer it to a third vessel to get it to drop out!

I brewed four different beers in order to gather the above information. The details were as follows:

1. Pale Ale. 8.5 SRM, 5.5% abv and a calculated 60 IBUs made with pale malt, C40 and noble hops. Fermentation started off cold (about 60F) and raised to 80F+ over a week. Yeast took a long while to settle, and had bready overtones while it was still young. Featured fruity/floral notes that were a bit hidden by the grassy hops. Delicious, but would've been happier with a milder yeast for this style (English or German ale).

2. Dark Strong Ale. 20 SRM, 8% and a calculated 60 IBUs made with pilsner, rice, dark crystal malt and Herkules as the sole hop. This one fermented warm, starting off around 65F and quickly rising to the daytime temps ranging from 75-90F. This yeast really took what I was expecting to be a plain dark ale and turned it into a trappiste-style beer. I was very happy! There was some banana, but it wasn't overpowering, instead blending well with the general deep fruitiness. Tasted a little 'hot' (fusels) for the first few weeks, but mellowed into a complex spiciness after about a month, which I thought was pleasantly quick for the style. A third-party tasters even suggested actual spices had been added to the beer.

3. Spiced Ale. 6 SRM, 5.5% and a calculated 60 IBUs made with wheat malt, pale malt, sugar and Herkules again. The spices were ginger and cardamom added in small quantities at the end of the boil. Fermented at around 70F. The yeast didn't really impress me in this application, it mated with the spices without really helping them. Some fruity/floral notes were present, and added a brightness but were a little lost. Still a good beer, but not a good use of a characterful yeast; in the future I would either skip the spices and use this yeast or skip this yeast and use the spices.

4. Hoppy Blonde. 5 SRM, 5.0% and a calculated 80 IBUs made with pilsner malt, rice, unmalted barley, some C40 and a mix of Cascade and Yakima Gold hops. Fermented on the cooler side, 60-70F. The yeast really impressed me with this one, although this was the beer which required racking to a tertiary vessel to get it to settle fully. The yeast character was, again, fruity/floral but in context it helped make a perfect marriage between the light, clean grain bill and citrusy hops. Probably my favorite application of the four. A third-party taster said it tasted 'refined', and I agree! The beer was probably classier than the brewer.

Well, hope that helps anyone out there yeast shopping... and there's always more to say, so give me a shout if you have any comments or questions!

Cheers!

Thanks for the review! I have a dubbel fermenting with m47 right now, and reading this I'm thinking I may have kept it to cool for the kind of flavors I was hoping for. We'll see.

Just saw this thread. Do you think this would be a good yeast for a Belgian pale ale in the Palm Speciale line? Thinking around 95% Belgian pale ale malt, the other 5% probably amber malt. Moderate bitterness with a finish of late EKG.

Great Review, I have made a Blonde using M47 and 50/50 split of Pilsner and Vienna. I fermented at the lower temperature end and it turned out great. Floc, yeah took mine about 3 weeks as well but still was able to transfer to keg without cold crashing first which was a plus.

Been in the keg for 2-3 weeks now I guess and still very hazy which is probably exactly what it's supposed to be

I was able to harvest over 500ml of yeast from just the one batch so looking forward to using this again in some bigger brews.

I picked up a slight bubble gum flavor in mine. I have heard this before in tasting descriptions but it is the first time I have ever noticed it in one of mine.

Just saw this thread. Do you think this would be a good yeast for a Belgian pale ale in the Palm Speciale line? Thinking around 95% Belgian pale ale malt, the other 5% probably amber malt. Moderate bitterness with a finish of late EKG.

I have a Belgian Pale Ale just finishing up in which I used M31 Belgian Tripple. I'm rather new to brewing Belgian type ales but IMO the M47 is lower end on phenols which you may want more of in a Belgian Pale.

I've not tried the final product as of yet but tasting the samples I noticed much more spicy, clovey characteristics compared to the Blonde I brewed using M47.

Yeah, for a Belgian pale I'd expect less phenols and yeasty notes than for other Belgian styles, though. Palm Speciale has a bit more yeast character than a British ale, but it's nowhere near the character you'd get in any Trappist beer or in a standard blonde. So, for what I look for, M47 might be just fine? :-D I did worry that the M47 is described as fairly fruity, and I need something with some character but closer to neutral for a Belgian pale (I did think of blending US05 with a Belgian yeast).

I'm also looking to brew a blonde or a tripel for the summer, so I'll keep a M31 in store for that. Completely different ball game there: more sugar, less malts, less hops, more yeast character.

Yeah, for a Belgian pale I'd expect less phenols and yeasty notes than for other Belgian styles, though. Palm Speciale has a bit more yeast character than a British ale, but it's nowhere near the character you'd get in any Trappist beer or in a standard blonde. So, for what I look for, M47 might be just fine? :-D I did worry that the M47 is described as fairly fruity, and I need something with some character but closer to neutral for a Belgian pale (I did think of blending US05 with a Belgian yeast).

I'm also looking to brew a blonde or a tripel for the summer, so I'll keep a M31 in store for that. Completely different ball game there: more sugar, less malts, less hops, more yeast character.

Again I am not very experienced in brewing with Belgian yeasts but I do have a lot of that ester fruitiness in the Blonde I made (just tried a sip to refresh my memory). Hop character was purposely kept at a minimum as I wanted to make sure the yeast character fully came through as was the first time I used M47.

I went and read some reviews of the Palm Spec and see some with spicy mild peppery notes and not sure if you'll get that with M47. But I did ferment on the low end of specs.

Interesting. I fermented a BPA with M47 in the 60s and get pepper/clove.

I brewed the Blonde with M47 and a BPA with M31 on the same day. First off just a reminder that I am by far an expert on Belgian beers but when doing a side by side taste of the samples from checking gravity, the phenols in the Blonde seemed almost non-existent compared to the BPA that I used the M31 Belgian Tripple yeast.

Your post is making me go back and have another glass of the Blonde so that's not a bad thing! :mug:

I'm cold crashing the BPA (after almost a month and a half in primary) so maybe by next weekend I can do a side by side of both finished products.

Again, Kudos to @skortjorkson on the great review.

Taste is relative also. I gave a fellow brewer a sample of the BPA, he thought it could use more esters. Likewise, another brewer tried a BPA I made with Safbrew Abbaye. I thought it a bit funky, he found it not funky enough. Both of those other guys like sours though, and I do not.

I've had good luck with a few of their yeasts - West Coast, Burton Union, Newcastle. I am partial to trappist Belgians so I may give this one a try and ramp up the temp. Thanks for the review.

UPDATE:

After doing a lot of drinking and a little bit bottling, there were a couple of other notes I wanted to add, the first being about the flavor of the yeast.

When fully matured, the yeast character in the paler beers I brewed with it reminded me of something I couldn't quite place, and it took me a good while to figure it out-- white wine! It was hard to tell if the hot-fermented dark ale I made had a 'white wine' character due to the complexity of the beer (which is delicious), but that's what some of the paler beers distinctly reminded me of. Cheap pinot grigio (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

Also, bottling: I bottled two beers with it, and although they conditioned well even with their own residual yeast, there was a definite impact on the clarity-- possibly due to the low flocculation (duh)! In the future I would use fresh yeast of a specific bottle-conditioning appropriate strain.

Brewing with this right now. A Belgian pale as mentioned before. Mainly Belgian pale malt, with some UK Amber malt (6%) to 1.050 OG. Bittering with Target, and then using Celeia, EKG and a dash of Cascade (1/5oz!, was running low on EKG and Celeia!) as flavouring hops. Looking forwards.

Lol, I got confused. I had the old Belgian yeast by MJ and the new Tripel yeast. Brewed it with British yeast instead. I'll add a dry hop and turn it into a special bitter.

Back