Quantcast

WL British Ale Yeast in an APA?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
I'm not that versed in the different flavors of yeast yet and my 1st AG brew day is this upcoming weekend. I was planning on doing a simple APA:

9# 2 row
.5 Crystal 60
Northern Brewer @ 60, cascade @ 30, cascade @ 15 on the hops

Typically this would call for CA Ale yeast but I happen to have a couple bottles of British Ale yeast slurry on hand I want to use up. What do you think, should I use the british or go get some CA for this? Prefer the british as its on hand but...

Or, a lighter SRM recipe using british ale yeast strain always welcome!

Thanks.
 

Catullus

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
Fairfax, VA
Go ahead and use the yeast you have on hand. The British ale yeast will leave the beer slightly more malty than the CA yeast and won't accentuate the hops as sharply but you will end up with a very nice pale ale. If you are concerned about the malty flavor you could lower your mash temp to 148-149 and make the wort more fermentable.

Do the same beer again at some point and use the CA yeast. It will give you a good idea of the influence those two strains have on the final product.

I do a pale ale with all british grains, american hops, and either CA or British yeast.
Both are great.


Good luck on your first AG---you won't go back
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
desertBrew said:
I'm not that versed in the different flavors of yeast yet and my 1st AG brew day is this upcoming weekend. I was planning on doing a simple APA:

9# 2 row
.5 Crystal 60
Northern Brewer @ 60, cascade @ 30, cascade @ 15 on the hops

Typically this would call for CA Ale yeast but I happen to have a couple bottles of British Ale yeast slurry on hand I want to use up. What do you think, should I use the british or go get some CA for this? Prefer the british as its on hand but...

Or, a lighter SRM recipe using british ale yeast strain always welcome!

Thanks.
see, that's the cool thing about AG brewing. you can tweak and have so much more control on the final product.

use the British Ale yeast. i did an American Amber Ale and used the Dry English Ale yeast, OH-MAMA! it has been my favorite AG so far. it really had a malty profile, not too much, but then the hops kicked in ......mmmmmm.....mmmm :D clear as hell too. that's one good thing about the Dry English Ale, high flocculating yeast....
go to White Labs web page. you can look up each yeast strain, and it'll tell you what style each is best suited for. plus it gives you all the numbers...
 

uglygoat

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
2,765
Reaction score
10
Location
Clebland, OH
put some east kent golding hops in place of the cascade, and you'll have a tradtitional pale ale :)
 
OP
DesertBrew
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
DeRoux's Broux said:
go to White Labs web page. you can look up each yeast strain, and it'll tell you what style each is best suited for. plus it gives you all the numbers...
Yea, I did that later last night after the post and was thinking I'd switch over to a traditional English Pale with this strain.

t1master said:
put some east kent golding hops in place of the cascade, and you'll have a tradtitional pale ale :)
Cool, thanks for the tip. So what about just plain 2-row should I switch to a different suite of grains? Heck, think I'll surf for some AG recipes on an english pale now...
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
shoot no! use what ya got. it'll be good. i used 10 lbs. domestic 2-row, .5 lb. Cara-Pils, and .5 lb Crystal 40 for my APA. use the yeast you have, make the hope changes like T1 said, or use what you planned. either will work great......
 

uglygoat

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
2,765
Reaction score
10
Location
Clebland, OH
the white labs irish ale yeast is great stuff, and very versitile. stouts, porters, and even pales all come out really good with that stuff :) enjoy!

i also want to take this opportunity to plug the eidinburg ale yeast... i made two pale ales with this yeast, and it gives a great malty flavor, but also highlights the english hopps i used, very interesting (in a good way) flavor profile :)
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
t1, is that a WL or Wyeast yeast? sounds interesting.........

Sam, i may have missed the thread, but how did the 1st AG experience go for ya?
 
Top