Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What’s your favorite wire management method in your control panel?

• Tie straps and anchors

• Lacing chord

• Spiral wrap

• Raceway

• Rat’s nest. You’re burning in hell.

• Other. Show us what you’ve got.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
So, what’s your preferred wire management in your control panel? Vote, comment, and definitely post a picture!

copious amounts of zip ties, spiral wire wrap and the little 3m stickies for mounting zip ties! I would show you a picture but I haven't built it yet.... so maybe something like this from at work?
mvimg_20200117_090445.jpg

Rabbit-hole: Hard-core system builders warn against sticky pads because the adhesive often fails. Of course they are easier than mechanically fastened tie holders, so its a trade-off and personal decision.

Rabbit-hole: Hard-core system builders warn against sticky pads because the adhesive often fails. Of course they are easier than mechanically fastened tie holders, so its a trade-off and personal decision.
But, nothing really bad happens if the adhesive fails (shouldn't be any moving parts inside your enclosure.) And, it's easy enough to replace any that fail.

Brew on :mug:

Where’s the fun in that?

it was fun adding it to the cart and clicking purchase..... however, I think I would of been happier buying a kit... but on the upside once I get my brew room figured out I may go ahead and build another controller.... not sure though

I went with tie straps and anchors. And a bit of split loom. As far as I can tell the anchors are still holding strong.

4cJ6TlM.jpg

I found that limiting available space (and therefor components) goes a long way in keeping wires organized. I've got a PID, SSR, probe input (not pictured), Relay, two color-coded switches (element and pump), and a pump outlet jammed into a weather-resistant box. That and zip-ties.

Works pretty OK. Have to switch elements manually during the brew day, but it's never been a problem.

16992203_1359859564071306_5745905885841981929_o.jpg

16992061_1365237403533522_8228318084746506534_o.jpg

17157567_1365237406866855_8565005652835846976_o.jpg

Looking good guys. I’ve got to give BrunDog the benefit of my experiences also seeing those anchors let loose a lot as well. Granted airplanes usually have a lot more tough conditions than we will. Half the time I think they fail because people fail to prep the area before they install them. I’ve got some anchors that can be riveted or screwed down. If all else fails a little JB weld.

But, nothing really bad happens if the adhesive fails (shouldn't be any moving parts inside your enclosure.) And, it's easy enough to replace any that fail.

Brew on :mug:

You're right. I suppose to dig deeper down the hole, wires that were purposely routed to manage interference & noise could gain proximity which induces noise. But so long as terminal connections are properly tightened... it shouldn't be an issue.

We used
You're right. I suppose to dig deeper down the hole, wires that were purposely routed to manage interference & noise could gain proximity which induces noise. But so long as terminal connections are properly tightened... it shouldn't be an issue.
We had these plastic zip tie spacers. We called them d-rings. One of them and two tie straps would keep all your wires separated to keep crosstalk EMI controlled. Another trick I’ve seen is to take some old hose (old 1/4 or 3/8 air hose would be great), looping the tie strap around both bundles and through the hose make a fantastic custom spacer.

Back