Will I have enough Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Mompier

Reaction score
Picked up supplies for a Maris Otter SMaSH beer. I ended up going with 12lbs of Maris Otter. I told the guy at the brew store I was going for a gravity of 1.050 and got just one packet of US-05 safale yeast. However I punched the grain bill into Brewers friend and it is showing a SG of 1.062. Will one packet of yeast be able to handle this or will I need more?

One pack should be enough for 5-6 gallons of a 1.060 beer or around that.
Are you just going to sprinkle it on top of the wort in the fermenter?

You need to estimate your efficiency and input that into the BF calculator. The actual gravity (and volume) you'll end up with depends a lot on your efficiencies. Mash efficiency (sugar extraction) is highly dependent on the fineness of the crush. Most LHBS mills are fairly coarse, so if that's the case, you'll get maybe 70-75% efficiency there. Good sparging will surely yield a few more points in the kettle.

Brewhouse efficiency consists of mash efficiency as well as volume losses such as wort left behind in the kettle with the trub. With most IPAs, those losses tend to be a bit higher due to the use of larger amounts of hops, especially leaf hops, which cause more trub.

In the fermenter again, trub is left behind, more so after dry hopping (hop pulp).

So maybe aim for 6 gallons after the boil, leaving .5 gallons to the kettle and .5 gallons to the fermenter. That way you still get 5 gallons in the end.

Picked up supplies for a Maris Otter SMaSH beer. I ended up going with 12lbs of Maris Otter. I told the guy at the brew store I was going for a gravity of 1.050 and got just one packet of US-05 safale yeast. However I punched the grain bill into Brewers friend and it is showing a SG of 1.062. Will one packet of yeast be able to handle this or will I need more?

As Island Lizzard suggests, the expected OG as Brewers Friend shows it is only an estimate based on its default settings. Were I to use that much base malt, I would expect my OG to hit much higher than that. Your actual OG may be lower, depending on your mash efficiency and any losses. Measure your OG, then change the expected efficiency in Brewers Friend to until your OG matches its expected OG.

Given conditions to encourage yeast growth, the yeast will multiply to sufficient numbers to handle the OG wort you expect.

Update: I actually ended up having a really crappy efficiency and ended up with a 1.050 OG (so 60% efficiency I think based on fermentables). Not quite sure why this happened as I have put in a default of 75% in the past and been pretty good at hitting the OG brewers friend has given me in the past. Perhaps a poor grain crush?

Anyhow it eases my mind about the yeast. Fermentation is not doing too much yet. (pitched Monday evening) But from what I remember US05 was mild and steady on the fermentation front.

Update: I actually ended up having a really crappy efficiency and ended up with a 1.050 OG (so 60% efficiency I think based on fermentables). Not quite sure why this happened as I have put in a default of 75% in the past and been pretty good at hitting the OG brewers friend has given me in the past. Perhaps a poor grain crush?

Anyhow it eases my mind about the yeast. Fermentation is not doing too much yet. (pitched Monday evening) But from what I remember US05 was mild and steady on the fermentation front.

Funny, just used 1 pkt of US-05 on a 5.5 gal batch of OG 1.050 beer this past sunday! It took a couple days to get going.

Perhaps a poor grain crush?
Very likely!
Any whole kernels left is a giveaway of poor crushing/milling. So are any pieces larger than 3/32".

12 pounds of MO in a 5.5 gallon gives me (Beersmith) an OG of 1.062. Mash efficiency 85.2%, BH efficiency is set to 75%, but I can eek an additional 5% out of it (wort reclamation) if need be.
Funny, just used 1 pkt of US-05 on a 5.5 gal batch of OG 1.050 beer this past sunday! It took a couple days to get going.
That's not funny, it's par for the course when sprinkling dry yeast. ;)
When pitching a proper amount of fresh yeast from a starter (liquid yeast) and/or vitality starter I typically get lift off within 12-18 hours. I like that!

Back