Adding A Second Direct CO2 Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac.cartier

Reaction score
I just bought one of these adapters from CGA-320 to the SodaStream connector. Not having to pay to refill the SodaStream tank is one of the ways I’m justifying getting a kegging setup so I am eager to make this work with my CO2 tank. From what I have read, the SodaStream needs the full tank PSI to “latch” properly so my idea of using a regulator output is moot. How should I connect it to the tank pressure?
I have two thoughts:

1. CGA-320 Tee
This seems like the obvious solution and would require the least meddling with my regulator. I was surprised at how few options there are for such a thing, and how expensive they are. All the options I have been able to find add up to about $70 between shipping and the unit, which is a lot more than I am hoping to pay for such a theoretically simple device.
I could try to make a Frankenstein tee with a CGA-320 to x fitting converter and then an x fitting tee and two x to CGA-320 female adapter, but this will be bulky, expensive, and I am having trouble finding a female CGA-320 adapter.

2. Regulator Tee
The other option that came to mind was adding a tee at the end of the regulator. I have the double regulator CO2PO from Northern Brewer, which has some complex fittings. I wasn’t able to find any information about it so I took the primary gauge off and started measuring. It the OD of the threads is 12.9mm (1/2”) and there seems to be a thread distance of 1.41mm (18 pitch). It looks like a 1/4” NPT but it’s LHT (left hand threaded) and the inner diameter is 1/8”. Picture included below.

image.jpg

The fitting from the hose to the CGA-320 on the SodaStream adapter looks like a 1/8” NPT RHT. I would then need a slew of adapters and converters, especially because I can’t even seem to find a LHT NPT tee to start with, nor can I find a LHT female-to-female adapter.

It seems like a difficult endeavor, how would you handle this? Have you heard of anyone else having done this?

Why not just close the valves on your regulator and disconnect it from the tank for a few minutes when you want to refill the sodastream cylinders? Or get a second 5 lb CO2 tank. It's always nice to have a spare on hand when you run out.

Why not just close the valves on your regulator and disconnect it from the tank for a few minutes when you want to refill the sodastream cylinders? Or get a second 5 lb CO2 tank. It's always nice to have a spare on hand when you run out.
I’m not planning to refill the cylinders because my CO2 tank doesn’t have a dip tube, rather I’m going to use the 5# cylinder as the sodastream cylinder. I’m hoping to avoid buying a second cylinder, it seems like an unnecessary cost

You don't need a dip tube if you invert the tank...
This is what I do... Invert the tank and open the valve sssslllllooooowwwlllyyy....

If you open it too fast, the sodastream side doesn't open and you have to close your tank, bleed the connector, then try again... Once it gets going, you can open the valve more.

You can hear it as fills the sodastream canister. Keep going until you can't hear it any more

https://www.cryofx.com/co2-tank-splitter.html

$40.

Sure, the other way is 1/4" NPT LHT x CGA-320 male thread adapter but I've never seen that.

The lack of solutions really just highlights how rare it is for someone to want to split the tank pressure
I might just have to bite the bullet and get this. Good find, looks like $50 after shipping. I’ll update and see how well it works when it gets in.

I guess most other people who keg would just have a keg full of soda water, I just don’t have the space for another keg.

Back