Why not hose barbs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewingBear

Reaction score
I understand that quick disconnects are the preferred way to connect hoses in a HERMS setup. Is there anything wrong with just using hose barbs?

The main drawback I can see is convenience when moving and reconnecting hoses. Are there any other drawbacks I'm overlooking? Maybe scratched hoses over time?

I'll be using the high temp silicone hoses.

The cons are exactly what you listed. After trying to remove hoses from a barb after it's been clamped down and heated, you'll quickly see why people go the quick disconnect route.

The cons are exactly what you listed. After trying to remove hoses from a barb after it's been clamped down and heated, you'll quickly see why people go the quick disconnect route.

I second this. Your only other option is to use 3 way valves and don't move any hoses.

Chrsi

BTW, the cheapest (so far) I've found camlocks are from Bargain fittings: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=51_54

they are cheaper on ebay but not by much and the quality is hit or miss with them not locking correctly... Ive had to take a few of my cheap ebay male connectors to my grinding wheel to make them fit correctly.

I use 3 way valves so the only time I disconnect anything may be for cleanup and then the single hose I use for recirculating hot wort thru my plate chiller when Im switching to cold and draining into my conicals.

unclamped barbs do work ok though as long as the hose is correct for the barb and your not using any pressure...

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna give barbs a go in the short term since they were cheap, and I have them. My 2nd hand BK has a camlock and matching hose for it, so at least cold side will be scratch free.

In the long run, I may go camlocks from BF. I bought my bulkhead from BF, and they are a quality vendor.

Back