Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, cool. I have the propane version of that. We use it at the state lake beach.

We own one of those too but have never used it.

KOTC just loaded up the charcoal version though, with nice split seasoned oak pieces. MMMMM and that rosemary will go on those screaming hot coals, and that lovely bone-in rib steak I just seasoned with garlic salt will be rubbed down with a smidge of extra-virgin olive oil on each side and then shown to the fire. A side of homemade pinto beans and some sauteed mushrooms and onions and we'll be eatin' like kings and queens here in an hour or so!

Haha, cool. I have the propane version of that. We use it at the state lake beach.

i had one of those too in college. grilled A LOT of good food on it. worked great for camping too. one of my favorite things was to take it snowboarding. instead of buying food @ their cafeteria Id be grilling in the parking lot - it was so funny watching people walk by drooling just mir'n the ingenuity

i had one of those too in college. grilled A LOT of good food on it. worked great for camping too. one of my favorite things was to take it snowboarding. instead of buying food @ their cafeteria Id be grilling in the parking lot - it was so funny watching people walk by drooling just mir'n the ingenuity

We'll have to fire ours up one of these days!

The charcoal version is so perfect to do one or two steaks. It takes very little fuel and very little time to get it to the "ready to cook" stage - we use it once or twice a week, even though we also have a Weber kettle grill and a proper offset smoker - it's just so quick and easy and perfect for the two of us.

We'll have to fire ours up one of these days!

The charcoal version is so perfect to do one or two steaks. It takes very little fuel and very little time to get it to the "ready to cook" stage - we use it once or twice a week, even though we also have a Weber kettle grill and a proper offset smoker - it's just so quick and easy and perfect for the two of us.

when you find the right cooker for your needs it's tough to deviate. i also lover Weber kettles. All my friends that ask about getting into grilling for a good price; my first suggestion is the Weber kettle. You can buy them on craigslist in great shape for dirt cheap. they are quite versatile and make all kinds of great food for a a great price.

we cook for 2 as well so i totally understand the struggle. pretty jealous you have an offset smoker - thats my white whale. hoping to pick up a Yoder loaded Wichita within the next 12-18 months. Don't need it, but sure as hell want it.

This is the typical sized rib eye that I like to cook. They are Angus Prime about 2 1/2" thick. You guys don't want to know what my butcher charges for them!

7CB70B8C-35E5-4FA1-9ECA-555E1B068A4B_zpseanrrjpf.jpg

Finished.

5938EC7F-EC57-404D-B53F-83CD3C532AAC_zpstxk5mapg.jpg

:mug:

same here...Also brought it in the drift boat for cooking burgers, fresh caught trout and brats-mid float.

^don't care what all the folklore BS says; briskets NEVER need 24hrs to smoke. when i hear people boasting about how long they smoked they're brisket i am reminded of breweries bragging about how many IBU's they've crammed into their disgustingly bitter IPA.

Wish me luck, pool grill.

The grill has a cast iron grate & appears to be pretty clean which is a darn good sign. The only 2 cents I can add is that the grates look like they could use some oil. I suspect your steaks came out really good with some nice grill marks:mug:

all this fuss about Hibachis motivated me to take a wire brush to mine and reseason it... so now i REALLY don't want to use it:tank:

doggo approves of refurbished hibachi:
jPFPRbX.jpg

even got the interior freshened up
ZUcdVHZ.jpg

the draft door is helpful in controlling the temp of the fire
ttfiNg5.jpg

This is the typical sized rib eye that I like to cook. They are Angus Prime about 2 1/2" thick. You guys don't want to know what my butcher charges for them!

Wow those make me wet. I wouldn't want to know the cost; i'd just give them my credit card and tell them to surprise me. Those are glorious.

^crust looks bomb imho. I'd take a bite out of those fookers haha. Know what you mean about quality though. I've learned a LOT about it over the last 3 years. I used to to think you only had 3 grades: select, choice & prime. Boy was I wrong. The steak world has layers inside of layers to assign/describe the quality of a cut. Getting connections inside the industry has exposed me to things I never knew existed.

One thing that grabs me lately is the aging process. It's so simple in theory it makes you wonder why you never thought of it. Even after the cow is slaughtered, the meat still undergoes the anaerobic process. This creates lactic acid in the muscle tissue thus increasing brightness in the flavor. Dry aging increases the oxygen exposure which amplifies the affect vs wet aging. Both serve similar purposes but the dry side is more complicated & rewarding. I've been contemplating a dry aging chamber for quite some time - you can go to much farther extremes than wet aging; I've heard 60 days is quite pedestrian.

^don't care what all the folklore BS says; briskets NEVER need 24hrs to smoke. when i hear people boasting about how long they smoked they're brisket i am reminded of breweries bragging about how many IBU's they've crammed into their disgustingly bitter IPA.

Dude I was right there with you till a local BBQ place gave me some tips on how they cook their brisket and I did it I was blown away by how awesome it was. I was just cooking to an internal temp of 195 and pulling then when I found out how "it should feel when it's done" and the longer cook time made all the difference. I have never looked back and I will never just pull it when it hits 195 again.

I brewed an Oktoberfest today and threw some ribs on the smoker this'd morning. About 2 hours out from the rib. I cleared a section of mesquite off the property yesterday. Shockingly, I opted to use mesquite wood for the ribs.

A guy was selling mangos at a dollar a case, so I made mango BBQ sauce. We'll see how that goes.

You can cold smoke in an offset.

You can cold smoke in a kamado as well (granted, you need to do it in colder months).

Get one of these: https://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm

Put it in your kamado without any charcoal, and with a heat deflector / platesetter between it and what you're smoking. In the cool months, it'll stay cool enough to still be cold smoking...

That said, if you want a stick burner, I'm not gonna tell you no! :mug:

Mmmm... Brisket...

20766257_1919413968281471_336586532469080064_n.jpg

Only problem is that it's too close to done. 19# and I put it on around 9 PM, and at 8 AM it's almost done. Dinner isn't until 5.

So I guess I'm going to preheat a cooler and rest it in foil and towels when it's done in another hour or two...

Man, that looks great. I love the bark. Just needs to be above 140, i think. We have has good success with microwave reheat.

That brisket looks amazing, definitely itching to smoke some meat, been so busy moving the gf in that I just haven't had the time. Hoping to get some good meat smoking time in over Labor Day weekend at least

Got a request for baby backs, so I figure I'll light the WSM right around the time I'll be pitching the yeast into the ESB I'm brewing now.

Doing an Iron Brewer contest soon. Brewing the beer this weekend on my new rig. Only run one 10gal and one 5gal on it so far. Looking to do another 5gal batch and smoke a pork loin while the stand does the work and we drink beer.

They need to add a drooling emoji...

Back