Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Im smoking 12 lbs of pork shoulder saturday (two 6lb cuts). Want to rest for 2 hours. I was thinking of putting it in the smoker at 5am so it will be ready for consumption for a party at 5pm. Also will be tossing about 3lbs of ribs in when I foil the pork at 50% (right around noon). Does this sound like a good plan to you guys? I figured that by adding the ribs when I foil the meat I can add more chips without over smoking the shoulder

Well you don't really need to worry that much about over-smoking the shoulder. Meat doesn't take smoke as easily after the bark has formed, and because shoulder has a smaller surface area / mass ratio than something like ribs, it's much harder to "over-smoke" it anyway.

How does your smoker usually respond to pork butt at your intended temp? Generally I assume about 1.5 hour/pound with pork, and I don't foil. (Foiling can speed it up, especially if you foil right around the stall). So two 6# butts would take me maybe 9 hours, since I don't foil.

If it were me and I were shooting for 5 PM, I'd probably throw them in slightly later, like 6-7 AM. And if I was planning on foiling, probably closer to 7-8 AM. But that's just how my smoker responds. If yours generally takes longer, work with the schedule you're used to...

Well you don't really need to worry that much about over-smoking the shoulder. Meat doesn't take smoke as easily after the bark has formed, and because shoulder has a smaller surface area / mass ratio than something like ribs, it's much harder to "over-smoke" it anyway.

How does your smoker usually respond to pork butt at your intended temp? Generally I assume about 1.5 hour/pound with pork, and I don't foil. (Foiling can speed it up, especially if you foil right around the stall). So two 6# butts would take me maybe 9 hours, since I don't foil.

If it were me and I were shooting for 5 PM, I'd probably throw them in slightly later, like 6-7 AM. And if I was planning on foiling, probably closer to 7-8 AM. But that's just how my smoker responds. If yours generally takes longer, work with the schedule you're used to...

Ya mine typically takes about 1.5hrs/lb. I just wasnt sure how much of a thermal change I would experience by adding the ribs. Maybe Ill shoot for 6:30/7 and I can foil if the stall is taking too long

Ya mine typically takes about 1.5hrs/lb. I just wasnt sure how much of a thermal change I would experience by adding the ribs. Maybe Ill shoot for 6:30/7 and I can foil if the stall is taking too long

Unless it will REALLY pack your smoker tight, I wouldn't worry too much about the thermal change. It might change your cook time 15-20 minutes, but as long as there's room for airflow, it won't change things all that much.

Just a guess, but even though the air in the smoker cools down when you open it, the meat itself takes longer to change temp. So it will hold its heat while you add ribs. Then it will heat back up quickly.

Just a guess, but even though the air in the smoker cools down when you open it, the meat itself takes longer to change temp. So it will hold its heat while you add ribs. Then it will heat back up quickly.

This!! The myth "if you're lookin, you're not cookin" has been busted by meathead at amazing ribs.

just picked up a new toy, so i will be beheading a few of my chickens and putting them in this baby. Also will be brewing a red rye ale. Long, hot, fun day ahead

FB_IMG_1501533648427.jpg

just picked up a new toy, so i will be beheading a few of my chickens and putting them in this baby. Also will be brewing a red rye ale. Long, hot, fun day ahead

Nothing like beheading chickens on a hot summer day :) smoker is awesome and your plan to start with fresh chicken works for me. What rub would one put on a chicken. I would think more savory then pork.

NICE marbling on those steaks. Yum. NY strip is generally not my favorite cut but those look worthy for sure!

Yeah not mine too, I used to buy tons of it when it would go on sale for 5 a pound. But recently I realize that I like ribeye and fillet way more. Maybe I'm cooking it wrong. Any tips on cooking ny strips?

I prefer ribeye over a NY but Ive found that you can get a damn good NY strip if your cast iron or grill is a few degrees off from the surface of the sun. The best NY's Ive ever eaten had a beautiful sear and had all that fat rendered. Basting with butter probably doesnt hurt either :ban:

Thats how I do it anyways. But Im sure there are more experienced than me that could chime in

Wheres @LakesideBrewing . I bet he could chime in and give us some pointers after seeing that tasty look meat he was cutting up at the James Beard house (still jealous about that if you couldnt tell :D)

Yeah not mine too, I used to buy tons of it when it would go on sale for 5 a pound. But recently I realize that I like ribeye and fillet way more. Maybe I'm cooking it wrong. Any tips on cooking ny strips?

Lucky here is about to have a one-day-only sale, tomorrow only, on Angus bone-in NY strip steaks for $3.99/lb. in the max pack, which is probably 4 steaks. I tried to talk KOTC into getting a pack but he just doesn't care for the cut - too much gristly stuff, and I can't disagree.

I prefer a good bone-in rib steak ANY day of the week. Maybe next week those will be on sale!

I prefer ribeye over a NY but Ive found that you can get a damn good NY strip if your cast iron or grill is a few degrees off from the surface of the sun. The best NY's Ive ever eaten had a beautiful sear and had all that fat rendered. Basting with butter probably doesnt hurt either :ban:

Thats how I do it anyways. But Im sure there are more experienced than me that could chime in

Wheres @LakesideBrewing . I bet he could chime in and give us some pointers after seeing that tasty look meat he was cutting up at the James Beard house (still jealous about that if you couldnt tell :D)

How am I just now seeing this thread?! Can't wait to follow along!

Thanks for the props, Kev! For me bone in rib eye steak is the best. I like searing both sides in a ripping hot cast iron pan. Then finishing it in the oven, basting with bone marrow butter, rosemary and whole garlic. :mug:

-Mike

Around here, the rib steaks get treated to a muy caliente oakwood fire, built out of our very own oak trees (which had the audacity, some of them, to fall on my car) which we lovingly split, stacked, and tarped til they were well-seasoned and ready to make some coals. KOTC builds a fast hot fire in the little Weber rectangular tabletop grill, and once it's JUST ready, he puts several good sprigs of freshly-harvested from our garden rosemary directly onto those hot coals, slaps down the grill, I quickly position a 1.5" thick rib steak right over those sprigs, and set the timer for 6 minutes. The rosemary smokes and flavors that meat oh so nicely. Then flip, another 6 minutes, let it rest covered for a good 5 minutes, eat!

It develops this wonderful brown crispy sear on it over those hot coals. I have never eaten a better steak anywhere! (brag brag brag)

here is only, on Angus bone-in NY strip steaks for $3.99/lb.

post some pics! curious what kind of steaks people are getting @ $4/lb. I'm not lucky enough to get anything i'd be happy with for that price.

edit: fwiw - i'm big ribeye fan too. also, i like variety and have an amazing friend in the food industry that helps me out with great deals from time to time so that NY roast is what I got. I'm not sure what it is about steaks the draws out the machismo in every guy who's seen a BBQ, but it feels like everyone is just commenting on it to say what's better. I really enjoy the "underground" sale I get from a good friend vs. giving my money to a corporation. It's even sweeter when the deals are this good:

$150 for
- 14.5lb Prime NY roast
- 6 - 1lb cryo vac'd Prime Bone in NY strips (these look insane)
- 2lbs gourmet bacon. Some is 1/2" cut which is bananas
- 2 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's Korean BBQ & Wing sauce - LOVE this stuff
- 2lbs ground Turkey sausage
- 4.5lbs Angus beef patties

-muy caliente oakwood fire, built out of our very own oak trees
-several good sprigs of freshly-harvested from our garden rosemary directly onto those hot coals,
-1.5" thick rib steak right over those sprigs hot coals

thats awesome you are cooking over a fire from trees off your own land. I've never added rosemary but have plenty i am now looking forward to trying out. 1.5" thick steaks is a bit much for me though. You can get a better sear/crust with a slightly thinner cut while getting a more "wall to wall" medium rare and more thoroughly rendering the fat.

The Costco here has had some really great looking USDA prime porterhouses recently... the steaks are nearly pink there is so much delicious fat.

But alas, when you finish the filet half of the steak you are just left with a strip steak. And why would one want a strip steak when instead you could have had a rib eye to begin with?

The Costco here has had some really great looking USDA prime porterhouses recently... the steaks are nearly pink there is so much delicious fat.

But alas, when you finish the filet half of the steak you are just left with a strip steak. And why would one want a strip steak when instead you could have had a rib eye to begin with?

:rockin:

My sentiments exactly!

post some pics! curious what kind of steaks people are getting @ $4/lb. I'm not lucky enough to get anything i'd be happy with for that price.

edit: fwiw - i'm big ribeye fan too. also, i like variety and have an amazing friend in the food industry that helps me out with great deals from time to time so that NY roast is what I got. I'm not sure what it is about steaks the draws out the machismo in every guy who's seen a BBQ, but it feels like everyone is just commenting on it to say what's better. I really enjoy the "underground" sale I get from a good friend vs. giving my money to a corporation. It's even sweeter when the deals are this good:

$150 for
- 14.5lb Prime NY roast
- 4.5lbs Angus beef patties

I won't be buying any of those steaks, so no pictures, unfortunately. KOTC says, why pay $3.99/pound for steaks which are not our faves when they often the bone-in rib steaks on sale for $5.99/pound? He has a valid point! ;)

thats awesome you are cooking over a fire from trees off your own land. I've never added rosemary but have plenty i am now looking forward to trying out. 1.5" thick steaks is a bit much for me though. You can get a better sear/crust with a slightly thinner cut while getting a more "wall to wall" medium rare and more thoroughly rendering the fat.

I like my steaks thick so I can get that great crust on the outside and still have it trying to moo on the inside.

$150 for
- 14.5lb Prime NY roast
- 4.5lbs Angus beef pattie
s

That's awesome!

I'm in the same boat; I've become such a steak snob lol...

That said, I'm lucky to find ground beef for $4/lb at this point. Where are people getting NY Strip for that price?!?!

I think I will throw a brisket on the smoker, and make the pecan porter AHA put in their clone section recently. Happy Brewing

I won't be buying any of those steaks, so no pictures, unfortunately. KOTC says, why pay $3.99/pound for steaks which are not our faves when they often the bone-in rib steaks on sale for $5.99/pound? He has a valid point! ;)

I like my steaks thick so I can get that great crust on the outside and still have it trying to moo on the inside.

Anyone that cooks a Ribeye rare is doing it wrong. Defeats the whole point of buying that cut if you're not going to render any of the fat.

And I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but I'm just past the point in my life where I buy low grade steak just to save a couple bucks. I'd take a prime sirloin over a select Ribeye any day of the week.

@jammin woah, thats a sweet deal. Man, hear what you are saying about better quality. The older I get im the same. Haven't considered the meat enough. At our local stores we have what I call the red counter. The meat in there looks a lot better We have a lot of butchers in Denver to. The meat we get is choice not select, but it's much closer to select then it is 2 Prime for sure. I would eat pretty much any steak cut, but when they do these deals here I get 20 lb. I don't think I'm going to do that anymore with New York's and also the quality. It was like my mom taught me how to get through the store as cheap as possible. And while I love that and I think many do shop affordably I'm tired of low quality food. in colorado we can buy cows and buffalo halves and quarters pretty easy. But you end up with a lot of hamburger my mom used to buy cows. I tell people about the apples I buy and they're so shocked that I pay up to $5 a pound for apples. But when I see my children dig into them, I don't know you could put a price on that. Appreciate the spreading some awareness of prime.

@temptd2 my mom swears by a little hibachi too. I'm now officially on the hunt thank you very much.

@kev211 thanks for the tips. I think my electric skillet and a ton of garlic butter on top is just what I was looking for.

@applescrap we have this one:

Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill

Amazon sells it.

@jammin the fat does render during our cook - that steak is maybe 1-2" from the coals, so develops enough heat to render it out just fine by the time it's done to my liking. I don't like hard lumps of fat. We've done it this way for years and are very happy with our method and the result.

I'm in the same boat; I've become such a steak snob lol...

That said, I'm lucky to find ground beef for $4/lb at this point. Where are people getting NY Strip for that price?!?!

We're a little north of you, Monterey Bay area. Check your local Lucky store if you have one nearby - it's a deal for today only, in their Max Pack, which typically has 4 or more steaks in it. I know they tailor their ads regionally, not sure what you may have available there. I make them cut them to my specs and they will still give me that great price when I buy the rib steaks on sale.

I haven't gone to look at them and we decided to just wait for the rib steaks to go on sale again rather than buy a cut that is not really our preference.

We're a little north of you, Monterey Bay area. Check your local Lucky store if you have one nearby - it's a deal for today only, in their Max Pack, which typically has 4 or more steaks in it. I know they tailor their ads regionally, not sure what you may have available there. I make them cut them to my specs and they will still give me that great price when I buy the rib steaks on sale.

I haven't gone to look at them and we decided to just wait for the rib steaks to go on sale again rather than buy a cut that is not really our preference.

Never heard of Lucky, and today I'm in Denver on business, so no way to get to one... Strange that I had never heard of them when I was living in San Jose... Must be very regional.

I usually buy my steaks at Costco. They sell Prime, and although it's not cheap, it's usually worth it. If it's a special occasion, I go here. I pay out the nose, but they've never failed me.

Never heard of Lucky, and today I'm in Denver on business, so no way to get to one... Strange that I had never heard of them when I was living in San Jose... Must be very regional.

I usually buy my steaks at Costco. They sell Prime, and although it's not cheap, it's usually worth it. If it's a special occasion, I go here. I pay out the nose, but they've never failed me.

Lucky has been the parent company name here several times - Save Mart and also Albertsons - but is back to being Lucky again! It's been around this area since my childhood days (which trust me are so far behind me I can't even IMAGINE that I see them in the rearview mirror) when my Mom used to take my sister and me grocery shopping with her on Saturday mornings - the Lucky store at that time had a lunch counter - she'd park my sister and me there and we'd have pancakes for breakfast while she did the shopping!

Anyway didn't know they weren't in the SoCAL area! Maybe Save Mart or Albertsons might have the steaks on sale, dunno.

@applescrap we have this one:

Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill

Amazon sells it.

@jammin the fat does render during our cook - that steak is maybe 1-2" from the coals, so develops enough heat to render it out just fine by the time it's done to my liking. I don't like hard lumps of fat. We've done it this way for years and are very happy with our method and the result.

Haha, cool. I have the propane version of that. We use it at the state lake beach.

I remember that, you are familiar with it here and come here a lot. Should meet up for a beer or eleven.

Back