Whirlflic and late addition LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason D Cook

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brew only extract beers. I've been wanting to withold extract and add it late to reduce darkening the wort. I also want to use Whirlfloc to help clear it. My question is two parts, really:

I'm reading that "late" for a late addition is like 45 minutes into the boil. Is that right? If so, when does the Whirlfloc go in since it's recommended to go in at 45 minutes into the boil, too?

Thanks.

You can wait even longer to add the "late addition" extract. It doesn't need to be boiled at all, just added when the wort is hot enough to pasteurize it. Add it just after you have turned off the heat so it doesn't have a chance to settle to the bottom and get scorched.

You can wait even longer to add the "late addition" extract. It doesn't need to be boiled at all, just added when the wort is hot enough to pasteurize it. Add it just after you have turned off the heat so it doesn't have a chance to settle to the bottom and get scorched.

Thanks for the help!

I have a question, I've seen a lot of articles and videos saying to add about half the LME at the start of the boil and the other half as a late addition, is there a significant difference in outcome from splitting the additions as opposed to adding all post boil?

I've seen a lot of articles and videos saying to add about half the LME at the start of the boil and the other half as a late addition

Partial boils (2.5 gal-ish, topping off to 5 gal-ish in the fermenter) with late additions of extract (avoiding boiling a concentrated wort) is a common approach to stove top brewing (or brewing with a smaller heat source).

Full boils with late additions are a common approach for minimizing darkening of extract during the boil. Half at the start of the boil, half at the end is one approach; 25% at the start, 75% at the end is another.

Pushing the limits: Back in 2007, http://menuinprogress.com/2007/08/on-importance-of-late-extract-addition.html, brews the same malt bill a couple of different ways and shows the impact on color. There is also BYO magazine article ("Boil Hops, Not Extract", Oct 2002, paywall: https://byo.com/article/boil-hops-not-extract/) on the idea. In both articles, there is a steep or small partial-mash, so the boil OG is probably around 10. With higher percentages of late additions, be sure to pay attention to the wort temperature after all the extract has been added to ensure pasteurization.

is there a significant difference in outcome from splitting the additions as opposed to adding all post boil?

One should see a lighter color with all the extract added at the end of boil. Assuming hop additions are adjusted for the lower OG wort, I would anticipate the beers would likely be very similar in taste.

If you’re already trying to tweak recipes id honestly just jump into BIAB.

All you need is your 5 gallon kettle which I’m assuming you have from a starter kit, and a large mesh bag.

From there get BeerSmith and do 2.5-3 gallon all grain batches but just use a BIAB method. I promise you’ll thank me later.

I know your profiles can be intimidating but it’s more straight forward than you think. Message me if you need help!

BIAB is the way to go and I honestly don’t know why people do it any other way.

I honestly don’t know why people do it any other way.

Home brewing forums can give the impression that the hobby is a progression of levels, where new skills must be mastered, certain old skills must be discarded, and the end goal is to brew 5 gallon all grain batches for their kegerator using recipe and water treatment software.

Not everyone sees it that way:

1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

No-Boil Recipes! New for 2019!

I have a question, I've seen a lot of articles and videos saying to add about half the LME at the start of the boil and the other half as a late addition, is there a significant difference in outcome from splitting the additions as opposed to adding all post boil?

There was a BYO article (from 2005, so maybe not up to date) where Mr. Wizard answered a similar question: "If you boiled hops in water as opposed to wort, the pH would be higher and the flavor would lack."
The original link was
http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/610-extract--hop-extraction-mr-wizard, but it doesn't work any more.

Back