Which beer should I brew next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtobrew1981

Reaction score
I've just finished off my fourth brew with all grain looking for ideas for my next brew day. So for I have brewed two IPAs one APA and one black IPA. The ingredients I have are pale malt, pilsner, Munich , wheat malt, malted oats, crystal 60, carafa3, chocolate malt, roasted barley, for hops I have azzaca sorachi ace, citra, cascade,mosaic, Amarillo.

Do you have a local homebrew store? Trying to force something given the ingredients you have is always an adventure. Maybe that's what you want, and if so, that's fine.

Do you have fermentation temp control? When I saw you had pilsen malt, I thought about brewing a lager. But you'd probably want a noble hop for that, which you don't have (Hallertau, for instance). And lager yeast.

Or a California Common. Takes lager yeast to do, but you ferment at ale temps. But to be true to style, you need Northern Brewer hops, and either Wyeast 2112 or White Labs 810 yeast--though IIRC someone has a dry yeast version of this. Maybe Mangrove Jacks.

If I were you, I'd find an established recipe that looked good and used most of what I had on hand, then get the yeast and any additional ingredients.

I have a homebrew shop down the street from me just thought it would be easier if I said what I had on hand was thinking maybe I'd do a saison but would need more ingredients of course. Really just looking for a nice drinking beer for the summer months

I have a homebrew shop down the street from me just thought it would be easier if I said what I had on hand was thinking maybe I'd do a saison but would need more ingredients of course. Really just looking for a nice drinking beer for the summer months

Why not try a SMASH? Single Malt And Single Hop. Feature a specific hop and a particular malt. You might add just a bit of crystal 60 for depth (then its a DMASH :) ), maybe a half pound. 10-12 pounds of 2-row, 1/2 pound of 60L, whatever hop you wish to feature.

If you mash at 150 degrees or so, you'll have a crisp drinker for after mowing the lawn.

What was your gateway beer into craft beer? Mine was a brown ale and around my 4th or 5th brew I tried to make one. Turned out OK but it gave me something to work on and perfect. Maybe it's something you could think about. Develop your own house ale as an homage to the beer that hooked you in.

Looks like he has a decent American Porter in there
pale malt 65%, Munich 20% , crystal 60 8%, chocolate 4.5%, roasted barley 1.5%, cascade for bitter only.

A sour has been on my mind. When I 1st stated it was near 75% IPAs. Which I still enjoy but lately I've been more focused on harder to find styles in the states. I just need to a training wheel sour to kick things off.

Speaking only for myself: if I were going to brew a sour beer, the first I would try is Berliner Weisse.

I have one but it is on PDF.

If you want to shoot me an email, I can send it over; the Edelweiß, too, if interested ~ :mug:

What do you like? Brew that. ;)

I brewed a porter a month ago. It's probably ready to drink now. 90% pale malt, 6% black malt, 4% crystal 20, and fermented with S-33 because it doesn't attenuate so much as some yeasts. Expected ABV is 5.4% You could do something similar with the crystal 60 and Carafa, and maybe Windsor yeast? It tasted awesome at bottling; better than the 7.5% "holiday porter" I brewed right after Thanksgiving. I will crack the first bottle (or two) on Easter.

It looks like you have brewed some hoppy ales, I would do something more malt forward. Perhaps a Scottish 80 or perhaps a Belgian mild. Something different. I like the maltier beers in general, so, tomorrow I'm brewing a NEIPA with a friend. Now that is a weird beer. :mug:

What do you like? Brew that. ;)

I brewed a porter a month ago. It's probably ready to drink now. 90% pale malt, 6% black malt, 4% crystal 20, and fermented with S-33 because it doesn't attenuate so much as some yeasts. Expected ABV is 5.4% You could do something similar with the crystal 60 and Carafa, and maybe Windsor yeast? It tasted awesome at bottling; better than the 7.5% "holiday porter" I brewed right after Thanksgiving. I will crack the first bottle (or two) on Easter.

It's hard cause I like almost everything. I'll have to stick to styles that are fairly forgivable temperature wise cause I don't really have a fermentation room at least not yet. I have to stick with styles were the yeast do best in the range between 19 to 22 degrees Celsius

Are your oats really malted, or are they flaked? If they're flaked, and you have enough amarillo and Citra, you've got the makings of a small NEIPA if you like that style. Bitter it lightly with Mosaic, hit it late and heavy with a combination of Citra & Amarillo, and dry hop with both as well as some more Mosaic. Ferment with a yeast with a pretty wide range like Nottingham, it's a forgiving yeast and a workhorse.

Id go for beer.
Other than that you could do most things.
How about a neipa?

Back