Where to go in Milwaukee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cskid

Reaction score
I’m heading to Milwaukee on business and have about 4-5 hours in downtown tomorrow evening to check out one or two places. Where should I go for the best beer experience. Any “holy grail” bars or breweries I can’t miss in that window? Places like Sergio’s in Louisville or Hamilton’s in San Diego. I’m from Florida so pretty excited for some northern beers I can’t find down south.

Third Space and City Lights are near each other and well worth a visit. MKE Brewing is n a new location which is really nice, but I’d hit the other two first. Welcome to Milwaukee[emoji481]

All of the above have fantastic beer. The only location I've actually been to is Lakefront and their tour is outstanding. Wish I could get down to my hometown more often.

I’m heading to Milwaukee on business and have about 4-5 hours in downtown tomorrow evening to check out one or two places. Where should I go for the best beer experience. Any “holy grail” bars or breweries I can’t miss in that window? Places like Sergio’s in Louisville or Hamilton’s in San Diego. I’m from Florida so pretty excited for some northern beers I can’t find down south.

If you up for a really good beer bar, Roman’s is an experience not to be missed. It’s about 15 min South of down town. Be on your A game, he is known for calling people out for stupid customer behavior. And whatever you do, don’t ask for samples or light beer. You’ve been warned.
http://www.romanspub.com

If you up for a really good beer bar, Roman’s is an experience not to be missed. It’s about 15 min South of down town. Be on your A game, he is known for calling people out for stupid customer behavior. And whatever you do, don’t ask for samples or light beer. You’ve been warned.
http://www.romanspub.com

Sounds like my kind of guy! Maybe not my kind of PLACE (no free samples!?), but my kind of guy. :D

I've visited a few times and always enjoyed the Old German Beer Hall downtown.
Hofbrau beers and Usinger brats...you can't go wrong.

Tell me when your town. Always happy to show off my home town and drink beers. As long as your not a serial killer or weirdo [emoji23][emoji23]

I've visited a few times and always enjoyed the Old German Beer Hall downtown.
Hofbrau beers and Usinger brats...you can't go wrong.

My hometown as well.
Yes definitely the OGBH and just a couple doors to the north, Maders.

Even though it's too late for suggestions for OP, let me add a couple thoughts on this for others contemplating a trip to Beertown:

1. There have been three, and only three, breweries I've been to in my life where I felt like they were brewing just for me. Pisgah Brewing in Black Mountain NC, Rustic Road Brewing Co. in Kenosha, WI--and Gathering Place Brewing Company in Milwaukee.

Gathering Place has the added attraction of being right down the block from Spike Brewing, so there could be a visit to Spike's showroom before they close and then retire to Gathering Place.

I've also been to Third Space, they're also good.

2. Lakefront Brewing is known as having one of the top ten brewery tours in the nation. There is beer during the tour, with refills, and funny tour guides. I'm at the point where I don't learn much, if anything, from brewery tours. But I've been on the Lakefront tour twice, and the second time was as fun as the first time. It has a nominal cost but you get a keepsake glass plus one or two other beers when the tour is finished.

Milwaukee is my hometown, as well. It would be interesting to know what places cskid visited whilst in Brewtown!

glenn514:mug:

2. Lakefront Brewing is known as having one of the top ten brewery tours in the nation. There is beer during the tour, with refills, and funny tour guides. I'm at the point where I don't learn much, if anything, from brewery tours. But I've been on the Lakefront tour twice, and the second time was as fun as the first time. It has a nominal cost but you get a keepsake glass plus one or two other beers when the tour is finished.

I've taken the general tour almost 12 times so far and the "advanced" tour once. The advanced tour is something set up special for groups of 20 or so where they get a little more technical but only just a little. With the general tour, I don't really learn anything new, just the sake of doing something with beer! It's funny when I get the same tour guide over and over. There's always that "look" when we recognize each other. I have too many LB pint glasses!

Hi everyone. First, thanks to everyone who responded. All really great tips and while I could not do everythjng this trip business will take me back soon I hope. My choice was Romans. I took a Lyft from the hotel. Checked out the beer list and it seemed interesting. When I arrived I was the only person there for a solid hour. Mike Roman (the Owner) and I had really great conversation the whole time. I took the advice on this thread about Mike and let him lead out in the conversation and it was really fun conversation. Love his no spotted cow rift with New Glarus. You’ll have to ask when there if you don’t know. Finally had some good beer. First was a 2018 Founders CBS draft. Then a really fun beer. A Dogfish Head Raison D’Extra Belgian Strong Dark Ale that Mike has had cellar’d since 2014. Once it’s gone it’s gone. The beer is 18% ABV and is as smooth as can be. A really unreal beer. If your in Milwaukee I would run not walk to try and grab a glass before the keg blow. Thanks again for the tips everyone. Really appreciate you all.

Back